Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plaster column-can it be placed outside?

Posted by dbjc z6PA (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 8, 05 at 23:40

I bought a plaster column at a great price intending to place it in my perennial bed. Then I noticed the tag says not for outdoor use. Is there any kind of sealer I can spray on it so I can use the column outdoors?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
It will melt! Be careful!

I would watch what you do with it. A spray-on sealant is not going to cut it; maybe if you brush on some powerful epoxy based stuff (and repaint it with it every year!) you could have the thing last.
Sorry to be brutal, but I've watched plaster pieces melt before. Now I do live in New Orleans which has insane rainfall; but plaster is not an outdoor material.
If you do decide to Thompson Water Seal it or polystyrene it, be SURE you do it all over. Several times. Water can build up from beneath just as sure as soak in from the top.
You could also put something on top that will protect it; say a glazed ceramic dish as a birdbath, or a metal birdbath or birdfeeder. If it extended over the footprint of the column it would add a few years to it.
I'd still double-seal it. With a brush on finish.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here