Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flipflopsforme

Peat Pot Alternative

flipflopsforme
10 years ago

I am not sure if this has been posted, I am new, but I tried it and had to share. I always hate having to buy peat pots for starting seeds, so I found an idea online, and it worked. Cut an empty toilet paper roll in half, line it with newspaper, fill with dirt and then start your seeds. Mine are working perfectly and with no expense.

Comments (2)

• barbe_wa
    10 years ago

Newspaper pots are also a solution and work much better than peat pots in my opinion. There are several different directions for making them on the internet. That's one of the things I do during the winter months when it's just too darned cold to get outside.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Well done! Paper towel rolls can be used for sprouts that quickly make deeper tap roots. If you put the newspaper on the outside with a rubber band, it can be removed and then you can plant the whole, bottomless thing in the ground without disturbing the roots at all.

With the paper on the inside, you could still use scissors to cut a big hole in the bottom, (if a fingernail doesn't easily rip the moist paper,) then plant the whole thing.

Peat pots do not decompose quickly enough, IMO/E.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!