Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato supports

Posted by HotHabaneroLady 7a Central MD (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 12:11

I'm growing a lot more tomatoes this year than I have in the past, but I am having more difficulty than expected in finding affordable supports. With nearly 50 plants planned, the costs add up fast.

I grow long, indeterminate vines, so they need ample support. Can anyone suggest a frugal solution?

Thank you in advance!

Angie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato supports

• Posted by JCTsai 8B - Yulee, FL (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 14:50

Find a new home builder's dumpster to find anything which is useful, even unused sod, electric wire, buskets, etc

Go to home depot inside's big garbage can to find unused wood for free

This post was edited by JCTsai on Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 14:57

o

Instead of trying to stake individual plants, are you able to stake fence rows? You could put sturdy posts, with steel wire strung between them, like rungs on a ladder. Larger rolls may be less expensive per foot if available, but I buy small rolls about 20 feet long, coated with plastic, at the hardware store for just a few dollars. The posts could be rebar, wood, PVC, whatever you can find/afford. They don't have to be the same materials, use 1 of these, 1 of those...

Things like discarded metal-frame lawn chairs, trampoline frames, swingset, election sign frames, can all be things for toms to climb/lean on.

A can of spray paint can at least make everything the same color if that's a concern.

o

As purpleinopp says, I have also seen where someone set up tomato-staking with 2 poles (or more, depending on your total length) and several lines of string or rope through the area where the tomatoes are. The tomato main stems are then weaved in and out of these ropes.

For this weekend with the Home Depot Spring Black Friday sale, they are also having 10 tomato cages for $10.

o

An additional idea for individual tomatoes. Buy or get for free some bamboo poles. If you are getting them for free from someone's yard, you can probably find about any height you want and about 0.5-2" thick probably.

Put them around the tomato plant and tie the tops up together in a teepee formation. At that point, you also horizontally tie up twine or something to have horizontal lines to attach to the tomato if you don't want to attach just to the vertical parts (or using small thin bamboo sections, make that as your horizontal part)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here