Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mulch

Posted by lindatri none (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 14:14

Any ideas for inexpensive mulch? I have small walkways between raised beds in my vegetable garden that get quickly overrun by weeds. My real aim is to keep out weeds and still be kind on bare feet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mulch

home depot just had cypress 2cuft bags 6 for 10. Where i am we can get mulch from the dump / recycling center sometimes because it does have a spot for people to dump plants etc. I have also had luck with landscape companies (tree removal) giving free woodchips if you wanted woodchips, most of them are happy to drop it off especially in spring when people have their dead trees they want out and after storms, the only down fall, usually you have to agree to a full load.

o

Mulch doesn't have to come from a bag. Any organic matter you put there will turn brown and look/act like mulch. Just start putting what you have, leaves, bits of trimmed plants, when you mow you can dump the bags if nothing you're mowing has seeds on it.

If you lay newspaper/cardboard first, you'll smother anything already growing, as well as prevent existing seeds on the ground from being able to sprout. As seeds are blown in on the wind or dropped by birds, they will sprout in any kind of mulch. When you see something sprouting, snag it before it gets big.

For dedicated path space, you could re-smother annually, after trees drop their seeds, for example, if you're getting an annual carpet of something like that sprouting. Thick layers of oak leaves are especially good at preventing seeds from sprouting.

o

If you want the look without full cost try layering newspaper, leaves, and then top with mulch. You'll buy less mulch, have a nice look, and still smother weeds etc.

o

i used some no-cost wood chips (i had to load n unload em, so they weren't "free"). I'm pleased with how they suppressed the weeds this year

o

Check with your city;
sometimes the landfill will give free mulch to residents.

o

Check with your city;
sometimes the landfill will give free mulch to residents.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here