Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raised Bed Gardening

Posted by simply_divine_joe z8 Pacific NW (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 1, 05 at 16:58

Friends,

I've had for years followed Peter Chan's methods for raised bed gardening. Chan is a widely respected horticulturalist in the Pacific NW and has a very green thumb .

I wanted to know about a technique called 'cloche' which creates an early planting season. This technique allows for a 'quonset hut' type environment a corrugated fiberglass tunnel.

The challenge would be watering the prepared soil and making sure the planting bed received sufficient sunlight.

It seems like this may be the next best thing to a cold frame. What do you all think?

Kind regards,
simply divine joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raised Bed Gardening

Joe,

I use a variation of the cloche idea on some of my raised beds in order to get an early start as well as to extend the season.

I take pieces of PVC pipe and push the ends into the ground on either side of my 4x8 raised beds. I use 4 pieces of pipe per bed and then cover it with a skin of 3 mil plastic clipped into place with binder clips.

I plant my lettuce and salad greens in one of the hoop houses and am able to carry them through the winter.

I use the others to start my seedling when the weather begins to warm up a little.

Good Gardening!

Aubrey

o
RE: Raised Bed Gardening

Aubrey,

Do you plant your beds north to south to maximize on the sunshine? I'm prepin' the garden to till this week and want to get the advantage of all the sun I can get.

Joe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here