Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cuttings idea

Posted by gill_didsbury S.A. (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 1, 05 at 17:57

Hi Everyone,
I found this great way to get cuttings to grow.
I take the cuttings ( I had daisy bush cuttings) and put them into a pot with plain old beach sand. Two weeks later these had GREAT roots growing from them :-)

Gill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cuttings idea

You're lucky the salt didn't kill them!

o

Hi,
Well to be honest I thought it would!!!!!! :-)

Gill

o

Damp sand? Yes?

o

Soft sand, or sharp?

o

It was just common old beach sand, from the beach and yes it was wet when I put the cuttings in it.
I am trying it again with Lavender cuttings now.
Gill :-]

o

Gill, you might also want to look at things such as Portulaca, and the little sand bindweeds, some of the 'Paris' or Federation' daisies, not to mention some of your shore-based natives.

If you've had a fancy for Myosotidium at all, it's fond of salty, well-drained but moist soils.

Good luck with the lavender!

o

I did this last year with a 5 gallon bucket. About 3 inches from the top of my sand bucket, I drill holes all the way around for rain water to run off. I filled the bucket half way with sand and added water to the top of the sand. Stuck cuttings in the bucket. Very successful with Rose of Sharon, Forsythia and Mock Orange. Suz

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here