Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bruggirl

What a deal I got!

bruggirl
19 years ago

I work at a garden center, and I'm always getting free stuff, but this was a true find. We have a landscaping team and they have a trailer out behind the business where they toss things they dig out or trim off of plants. I go back every once in awhile just to see if there is anything salvageable.

I couldn't believe my eyes the other day! There in the garbage was a HUGE philodendron "xanadu" root with several large stems, and about 20 heads they had cut off. There had to be more roots, but I didn't see them. I didn't bring home the root, because it was too big to get into my car, but I got the 20 heads, which are so easy to root, it's not funny!

These plants go for about $20 apiece, so I'm truly excited, because I've wanted one for awhile, but didn't want to pay that much for it. Now I can have a whole row of them!

Plus, the stems are so long on them that I can cut them in half and root the bottom and top separately if I want.

Then the next day, there were three nandinas laying bareroot outside. My boss asked me if I wanted them, because she knows I'm trying to hedge off my yard from the neighbors, and I said "sure", so now I have three nice nandinas too!

A few weeks back, they were tossing out a New River Bougainvillea on a trellis. It looked pretty pathetic, but I brought it home, trimmed away the dead, and now it's growing and gorgeous!

Too bad I can't keep this job for too much longer. I have a fracture in my hip, and can't have a job where I'm on my feet too much, so I have to look for a desk job, but you can bet I'm gonna grab as much stuff as I can while I'm there.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz