Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Medical waste?

Posted by plant-one-on-me MI 5/6 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 08 at 20:56

I brought home some empty IV bags and tubing instead of throwing it away at work (I am an RN in the ICU). I rinsed out the bags and refilled with water. I am using them to drip irrigate my overwintered geranium and other houseplants. The roller clamp on the IV tubing lets me adjust the amount of water just right.

I also brought home some containers that hold pre-filled syringes. Great containers for my homemade newspaper pots. My best ones fit directly on the windowsill.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Medical waste?

Great ideas!

I don't consider that stuff "medical waste" though, I'd think of it as clean material (I think of medical "waste" as something that's been used & that may be contaminated.)

When I had dental work done, I was dismayed at the amount of waste generated.

Barrels & barrels of plastic sheeting were sent to the landfill every day, as were huge numbers of paper gowns that the dentists & techs had worn once (& if they had to leave the patient, say to get more materials, they had to throw away their gloves & get new ones.)

& I bet neither they nor their waste management contractor composts or re-cycles a thing, too much liability.

It's so nice to hear of someone making a difference, keeping something out of the landfill & reaping a benefit as well!

o

I think that a lot of that medical waste stuff gets incinerated rather than going to landfills, actually. But, that comes with its own environmental impact. I read recently that there is actually a fair amount of mercury in medical waste, which gets released when it is incinerated. Here's a fact sheet from the EPA, if you're interested:
http://www.epa.gov/ARD-R5/glakes/fact1.htm

o

This is an old post, I know, but I think that is awesome. I just LOVE IT when things like this can be recycled. I wish I could get a hold of some IV bags. I don't know anyone who works in the medical field, though. I don't imagine a hospital will willing hand them out to the public either, haha.

o

As for the IV bags, if you want an old one, try a small vets office! Now granted I live in the country and it's a small place. But I know mine would give them to me! Just a thought!

o

Recycling takes time. Time equals money. Places like medical offices don't want to sort into bins and deliver to a recycling center. Platic iv bags were offered our local recycle center, but they had saline solution in them. The medical facility didn't want to empty them and the recycling center didn't want to emtpy them so they threw them in the landfill. Sad since there was no contamination, never been used.

o

"As for the IV bags, if you want an old one, try a small vets office! Now granted I live in the country and it's a small place. But I know mine would give them to me! Just a thought!"

I would second that suggestion. My vet (and I think our previous vet as well) uses empty IV bags for booties for bandaged dog paws during wet weather, so saving them isn't unheard of.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here