Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Clean Clay Pots

Posted by borrego Z 10 L.A. Cal. (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 10, 06 at 1:55

I am in the process of replanting all of my succulents in a glazed or ceramic pot into clay pots. I had a couple plants rot on me and have decided for drainage purposes, clay is the best for me.
In my travels, I have acquired several used clay pots. Unless absolutely necessary, I refuse to buy new ones from Home Depot or Lowe's. Same product, a fraction of the price. I can handle a little wear & tear, a chip or a crack. Some have hard water residue on them. Others are simply grimed up from years of use. A few have even been painted. What is the best way to clean them up? I have been told to soak them in water and vinegar, that will loosen the hard water residue, but do not know if that is an old wives' tale or not. Please let me know what you think.
Thank you, in advance, for your opinion, time and knowledge.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Clean Clay Pots

• Posted by fbot Z5b-Central MA (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 10, 06 at 16:51

Per a recent episode of "Gardening by the Yard", "To remove the salt deposits that form on clay pots, combine equal parts white vinegar, rubbing alcohol and water in a spray bottle. Apply the mixture to the pot and scrub with a plastic brush. Let the pot dry before you plant anything in it."

Hope this helps.

o

A good way to ensure that there are no diseases that are left behind in the pots is to soak them 10 parts water and 1 part bleach solution over night, does the trick everytime. Just make sure that after the soak the clay pots in the solution you soak them again in pure water to get the rest of the bleach out and then let air dry. I keep doing this til I can't smell any more bleach on the pots. Or if you don't mind stick them in the dishwasher, I've done it!

o

After removing any loose dirt, wash the pots in your dishwasher. The deposits come right off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here