Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions...

Posted by lizinnh z5 NH (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 29, 06 at 11:54

I am going to the zoo tomorrow. Is there anything I should bring? What if I find a great cutting or something? Need voices of experience. Liz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions...

Last time I tried to take a cutting of something at a public garden I got chased by the flower cops. They don't like you to touch the plants.

Couple years ago I was at the garden behind the Alamo mission in San Antonio with my mother. Without thinking I reached down to deadhead a dahlia and the flower cop was on me like a duck on a june bug. "Never touch the plants!" she yelled. I was mortified and my little 78 year old mother almost fell over from fear.

Then last year I was at a botanic garden somewhere in Georgia and reached down to touch a flower cluster on a hydrangea. The plant cop materialized out of the mist and pointed at me and said, "No NO!" Just like I was some wayward two year old.

What to take? Ski mask (for disguise), bicycle (for quick getaways), sharp bypass pruners with pruner holster (for ease of sneak) and a buddy (to fake a seizure as a distraction in case the flower cops come after you.)

Moral of the story, if you're planning to take cuttings or snatch seed heads from a public garden, just don't get caught.

Cheryl

o
RE: Suggestions...

"Ski mask (for disguise), bicycle (for quick getaways), sharp bypass pruners with pruner holster (for ease of sneak) and a buddy (to fake a seizure as a distraction in case the flower cops come after you.)"

I would also suggest a cute outfit in camo gear....maybe if you jumped into the foliage first you would blend in and could whittle away unnoticed? Or if you are real lucky, the zookeepers aren't as vigilent as the Garden cops?

Either way, good luck and be sure to demand your ONE phone call:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here