Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
metal pots

Posted by mstywoods zn 5 - Westminster, (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 16:22

HI - I've never posted on this forum before, but love reading all the terrific ideas people come up with for up-cycling things.

My husband took apart some large light fixtures and had the inside canisters left over. They already have several holes in the closed end that could serve as drainage holes if I used them as outdoor planters, but am wondering now if the metal could be troublesome for plants in the hot and cold temps we get here in zone 5 (Colorado, Denver area). Thinking the heat (the sun gets very intense here due to the mile high altitude) could fry the roots, and then in the winter the roots could freeze since our temps get into the single digits at times, as well as the minuses.

So I'm not sure what else I could/should use them for - anyone have some good ideas?!

They are 12" tall and 10" diameter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: metal pots

I like them, so you could use them in the shade so as not to fry the plants. Or you could use them just to grow seedlings b4 transplanting into garden. Or inside?

o

Thanks louisianagal - good ideas! I'm also tossing around the idea of using them for part of a water feature in one of my flower beds.

o

I would definitely use them! Good catch!

o

Tonight, I'm thinking about using some to cover a few plants as we are expecting some heavy wet spring snowfall and low temps - they should hold up well for that!

This post was edited by mstywoods on Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 22:09

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here