Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
captstinky

shade cloth?

captstinky
20 years ago

Any sources for inexpensive shade cloth? I am probably looking for a 12x14 piece.

Comments (11)

• carmellia
    20 years ago

I don't have the information with me, but I will find the catalog when I get home tonight. I can't remember the name of the catalog or I would give it to you and let you look it up. Their way of listing their prices is confusing, but it appears to me that they charge the same price no matter which width you buy, which must save some money.

Also, in a yard goods store or department you may be able to find net. I haven't bought net for many many years, but it should still be very cheap. It would need washers or some kind of weight sown along the edge. It is very light and would blow away. Carmellia

• Nigella
    20 years ago

I have used trampoline material from discarded tramplines DH and I curb-shopped as both shadecloth and as groundcloth. It works great but may provide more shade than you have in mind.

• captstinky
    Original Author
    20 years ago

thanks!

• thorspippi
    20 years ago

I think I read somewhere about people using old sheets as mulch, or landscape fabric. Is it too thick to use as a shade cloth? I don't need shade cloth in my yard (too much shade already!) but I'd planned on trying it out as a mulch in one of my backyard strips of plantable area. Although I suppose the really high thread count stuff would be too opaque?

• cherylm
    20 years ago

shuffle, shuffle, shuffle.......found it! charley's greenhouse and garden, page 40, there's a 12x16 for $56.95. they also sell by the yard, make your own stuff. comes in different densities, depending on how much shade you want.

Here is a link that might be useful: charleys greenhouse and garden

• Aurore
    20 years ago

I use the screen netting from an old discarded tent.

• lady_nikki
    20 years ago

Nylon net is 60 inches wide and really cheap - my mom used it, very ruffled up, for curtains in the shower, so I know it can get wet and then just be shaken dry. Heloise says to scrunch it up and use as a pot scrubber so it must be pretty tough, too. If one layer is too light, you can double or triple it. Make you sure you sew it with nylon thread cuz cotton will rot out on you.
    Call around fabric stores/departments - fabric at craft stores is way too expensive, IMO.
    hope this helps
    Nik

• ianna
    20 years ago

Go to a used army supply store and look for old parachutes...

• lazy_gardens
    20 years ago

Saving a few bucks on shade cloth by using old sheets, parachutes or nylon net is NOIT a good idea. Spring for the real thing.

The stuff takes a beating from wind and sun ... and it's usually protecting your, vfurniture and plants.

• craftylady_MA
    19 years ago

I made a shade cloth out of "nylon" I bought 3 yards. I use it to shade sun for the little ones out playing in grass or sandbox. I also use one as a privacy fence to "practice my yoga" or exercise outdoors. You need 3 or more poles (dowels) add pockets at intervals across the width of material, add the dowel width pocket, a each yard. always adding a sewn in sem for each pole. Slie the pole into the material and insert them in ground at each interval.Roll up when not in use., tie with heavy string. Waterproof material is best. craftylady_MA.

• bruggirl
    19 years ago

People in the areas affected by the hurricanes have been picking up the pool screen from the side of the road to use as shade for their plants after trees were downed.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional