Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenica_gw

Where do I get pallets from??

jenica
19 years ago

I loved reading that post on all the things you can do from pallets. Now I'm inspired and have a million projects I want to do but no pallets to do it with. Where are ya'll getting your pallets???

Comments (7)

• grrltrouble
    19 years ago

I'm planning on doing a pallet project or two as well. Since I drive around a lot for work, I try to keep my eyes peeled, especially in manufacturing/industrial areas. I so far, though, have been too shy to go up and ask for any. I've, ummm, liberated two so far, but sometimes it's hard to tell if they are discarding them or just "stacking" them outside (kinda near the dumpster).
    Interestingly, though, driving with my mom today, we spotted two pallets at the curb in front of houses. i guess people are doing their spring cleaning maybe? They were both on the same block, and since my mom was driving her big stupid suv, we stopped and grabbed them. They were both pretty big and probably would've never fit into my little toyota. So, since fate just dropped them into my lap, i figure i'll have to start building something really soon.
    Once you start looking, you'll see them everywhere

• jenica
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm afraid to just take them because my husband, who sells industrial adhesives, told me that most of the plants he visits have to save the pallets and exchange them when new stuff comes in.

• breezyb
    18 years ago

My local feed store gives me all the pallets I want, so I'd check out any livestock hay/feed places in your area. I also see ads from the local newspapers advertising free pallets, as many of them receive their blank newsprint on pallets.

I'd also check big stores like Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Many of them will give you pallets. Check local nurseries as well.

• jenica
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check out the feed stores. I need to go there anyway to get some vermiculite for my garden so I'll check then.

Thanks again,
    Jenica

• led_zep_rules
    18 years ago

If anybody in the Racine/Milwaukee area wants some pallets, I have a heap of old ones in my yard that I would be glad to give away! I just added 2 of them to my compost bin to make it a double, but I don't need all the ones I have.
    My brother 'rescued' them so they wouldn't be thrown out.

Marcia

• val_bliss
    18 years ago

Our local lumber yard (locally owned, not a chain) always has a big pile of pallets with a big sign above them "Free Pallets."

Unfortunately we're in southern Connecticut, so this doesn't do you much good. I don't know if this is a common practice for lumber yards. It seems odd for a place that sells wood to be giving it away, even if it is totally inferior.

--Valerie

• breezyb
    18 years ago

Again - do check any livestock feed stores in your area.

My hay/feed guys just delivered me a load of hay & almost begged me to take the pallets as well (which I readily accepted).

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living