Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need wasp nest ideas...

Posted by rhay z5 Colorado (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 6, 06 at 22:25

I've seen some nice glass containers in my garden catalogs designed to capture wasp but I can't see myself spending the money they want. Have any of you ever made any kind of wasp trap that was useful but less expensive?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need wasp nest ideas...

Do they put something in the glass containers and the wasps go in and cannot go out? If so, why couldn't you use a 1 liter bottle? I suppose you put something meaty or something sweet in them.

o

I take the two liter pop bottle, cut it about an inch under the top rib. Making basically a funnel. :-)
Invert that into the bottom part, staple together.
Be sure you get it as close together as possible, if not just put a little tape around the top to close it so they can't get out there.
Put/staple on a string to hang, making sure it goes through the two pieces. Add about an inch or so of sugar water.
They can get in but can't get out. Every year I have about 3 green "bottles" placed around (a distance from where we are), they for some reason are more attracted to the green
bottles.
Worked ever year so far and oddly enough I have never found any honey bees in there.
Hope that helps. :-)

o

this might cost some money, but, abc distributing has them for only 6 bucks, and they look nice too! i know thats not exactly 'free' but, that is cheap.

Blessed Be,
Carrie Ann

o

• Posted by rhay z5 Colorado (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 14, 06 at 22:11

Thanks for the lead to ABC distributing! Similar items elsewhere were pretty pricey. I went ahead and ordered several to put aroung our property.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here