Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faerieannette

rain barrel help

faerieannette
18 years ago

I am interested in some advice on making a homemade rain barrel. What have you guys done? Any suggestions on design, division of chambers, overspill, materials, and most important in my area mosquitoes! Thank you in advance for your help.

Annette

Comments (15)

• happycthulhu
    18 years ago

I can't help you with the design part, but I can tell you where you might get a barrell for free.
    See if there is a company in your area that supplys soap to carwashes.
    The soap usually comes in 55 gal barrels, and these barrels wear out after a while. (striped threads)
    They are usually pretty happy to give them away. I've gotten a dozen at a time on several occasions.

As for mosquitoes, put one of those mosquitoe donuts in every once in a while. Just make sure you or your pets don't drink from the barrel.

• ruthieg__tx
    18 years ago

I have a large and costly set up so it isn't frugal in the least but a rail barrel set up is really so simple...the water is collected on the roof, runs into a gutter and the gutter sends the water into a barrel...The barrel doesn't have to be open to bugs etc, it can be a closed system...just cut a whole in the top that will fit the drain pipe ...you probably want an overflow hole etc...there are tons of places on the web that have pictures of the mechanics of setting one up...it's simple though a bucket or barrel under the downspout...

• ruthieg__tx
    18 years ago

OK so that you get the idea, here is a picture of mine...I do not have it set up next to the house cause it is so large ...1700...gallons...so instead...the gutter feeds the water into PVC that is buried underground and runs underground to the tank and then you can see that it comes out of ground and up the side of the tank and empties into the top of the tank...You can also buy plastic tanks ...mine are concrete....Ps I wasn't taking a picture of the tank but of the deer cause they are about 6 feet from the house and I was taking this through a window...Oh and one more thing...the rod sticking out of the top has a float thingy on it so that I always know how much water is in the tank...on the other side of the tank I have a small pump that I use with the sprinkler or I can just run a slow soaker off a plain spigot on this side...

{{gwi:51021}}

• arcy_gw
    17 years ago

I have a 55 gal. drum gotten where my husband works. It is placed under a down spout. The down spout dumps into the drum through a metal screen. We found a hand pump at a local garage sale put on by a factory. It works like a charm.

• skh1
    17 years ago

I am also interested in making rain barrels with closed tops. It seems easy with a big open top, but I want to work through only the bung openings and install a spigot very near the bottom. Any good ideas?
    Besides using by the house gutters as rain barrels, I want some down at my tomatoes which I will fill with a hose, but then use to feed drip lines with tempered water in my garden.

• krystine
    17 years ago

My husband just finished making a kickbutt rainbarrel system for me. :) We have a local vinegar plant nearby that sells foodgrade barrels with tops for $5 each, so I picked up 4 of those and my husband linked them all together.

Some of the features of this system include:

*This is a closed system to prevent mosquito breeding. The downspout fits perfectly into the barrel top.

*This is on a raised platform, so no need for a pump. (Platform has inletted joints and lag bolts for stability. Also the back of the platform was ramsetted into the brick wall).

*This system has an overflow mechanism

*The only modification he needed to make to his original plan was to add a centre beam under the platform as the weight of 4 full barrels caused the platform to sag a bit.

He did an awesome job if I do say so myself :) I planted Sweet Autumn Clematis and the thornless Zephirine Drouhin rose climber in front.

Check out the link below for the step by step pictorial.

{{gwi:51023}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Step by Step Rainbarrel Pics

• wallace_2006
    17 years ago

I have a number of 55 gal barrels which I have added spickets to.I have a 250 gallon plastic container with a very small top. I would like to put a spicket on it but can't figure out how without being able to crawel inside.I had hear that there was a spicket which when inserted, had a toggle on the back that would seal on its own. Any suggestions on where to locate one????

• krystine
    17 years ago

I wouldn't think you would need to crawl inside to install a spigot into that container...

My husband used a spade bit to drill a hole, then briefly took a blowtorch to the hole to loosen it a bit. Then he applied marine goop to the fixture and gently inserted it.

Check out the link below for step by step pics...

Here is a link that might be useful: How to attach a fixture/spigot

• krystine
    17 years ago

Or perhaps you could use Lee Valley's barrel tap

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Valley Barrel Tap

• sam452
    17 years ago

What kind of pump is being used to drive a small sprinkler? Ideally, one that is submersible and relatively inexpensive.

Looking around, I don't see anyone has indicated that they use one. I have a need to go slightly uphill, thanx, sam

• overflowhank
    14 years ago

Hi y'all. Hubby and I have made 5 rain barrels. Ours are soda syrup barrels. We used the bung to attach the spigot. In the
    center of the the bung we found ours had 3/4" threads. Although it was sealed over, we were able to drill out the seal
    without damaging the threads. We then attached a 3/4" threaded 2" nipple, a threaded elbow, another nipple and
    then a pvc 1/4 turn ball valve, and another 3/4" threaded nipple to attach a hose to. Everything was wrapped
    with teflon tape and silcone caulk was used on the bung and the overflow hose then we turned it upside down
    and cut a hole for the downspout. About 2 or 3" from the top we drilled a hole just big enough for another
    3/4" threaded nipple. This was used for a overflow hose. It also could be used to add another barrel.
    another option we are considering is stacking the barrels. Using the bung hole we would put a pvc pipe
    from the top barrel to the the bottom barrel, thus using only one spigot and giving more pressure. I use
    the rain water quite frequently to water my many flower beds. I attach another hose to the spigot and
    run it to where I need it. A full barrel will put out a 4' spray from a sprinkler until about the barrel is half full. Like I said earlier the threads on the bung are 3/4" you could attach a garden hose and a shutoff valve on the end of the hose.

• mr.ed
    14 years ago

I have been thinking about it myself.

How to Build a Rain Barrel
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGFDlkJOdaM

1.The few basic ideas seem to be, make sure it is sealed tight or has window screen to cover the inlet. Anything from a tightly stuffed rag to silicone sealant.
    2.Use a larger screen in the inlet to keep leaves or debris out of the water.
    3.Put it up on cinder blocks or some other platform to increase water pressure, make it easier to fill buckets, and keep pests from making a home underneath.

From thereÂÂ. itÂs just a matter of adding a spigot, to fill your bucket or attach a hose or drip irrigation system.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93261

The over flow could be just a hole drilled with piece of screen over the hole or a pvc pipe threaded three or four inches from the top and elbowed off to an area of possible drainage.

For me, I would most likely replace a section of standard downspout with a diverter to keep the barrel from filling and freezing in winter. (4" Full Flow Wye) They make adapters to covert them over to PVC if you need.
    http://doitbest.com/PVC+fittings-Genova-model-S45344-doitbest-sku-449873.dib

Or on a massive scale

http://www.emmitsburg.net/gardens/articles/adams/audrey/water_barrel.htm

• ga_karen
    13 years ago

I have 5 rain barrels located at different areas around my house. They are all elevated & have a spicket at the bottom. I don't have any trouble getting water out either in a hose or straight into a bucket/water can.

• KevinC123
    12 years ago

I am having a similar problem. I can get the rain in the barrel but its just so much work getting it out. I am looking for a pump to get it out. Any suggestions.

• gunnersm8
    12 years ago

no cheap suggestion, besides watering can or bucket. i was looking into a solar panel/12v pump/battery/drip irrigation combo to do it, but it gets expensive fast. especially with the battery. could omit it and just go straight off solar panel to pump.

past few years we just fill watering can and 3 gal bucket and use water bottles with little holes poked. ill fill 2-3 and set under plants, then walk around with watering can. i have a small yard and smaller garden though. takes a few trips, but i like it, gives me a chance to lay eyes on everything.

as far as winter goes, i just connect short hoses and leave spigots open all winter. last year i forgot, and both froze solid, didnt hurt anything, but the water smelled terrible in the spring.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County