Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikeytitan

rice sack soil container for garden doors

mikeytitan
14 years ago

Hi,

I have this security door that is in need of a vine so that I can have more privacy in my backyard... I want a vine on it but I don't like the idea of a vine growing onto it from the soil or a pot and making the door difficult to open. So I had an idea to use a rice sack as a mounted container of sorts so that I could grow a vine yet keep the door free moving... The door is facing east/west So I get direct sunlight on both sides of the door during the early morning and mid afternoon which will hopefully cause the nasturtium that I just planted (limited options at the moment due to limited funds for new seeds) to flower on both sides of the door.

Here is a link to the pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37262538@N03/3526415658/in/set-72157617604019935/

{{gwi:51060}}

I wrote a lot of detail under the pics on flickr describing the types of vines I thought about using and the reason why I want to use those particular vines etc... here is the link to my flickr page with a lot more detail on my ideas:

I basically took a rice sack and filled it with soil:

melted holes in the top so that I could thread nylon fishing line through it to keep it close since the sack is mounted sideways.

tied fishing line around and around in different places on the sack so that I could use the line as mounting points rather than trying to mount the sack directly to the security door.

used UV stabilized tie wraps resistant to UltraViolet light so they don't break from sun damage

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?jspStoreDir=hdus&catalogId=10053&productId=100656895&navFlow=3&keyword=tie%2Bwrap&langId=-1&searchRedirect=tie+wrap&storeId=10051&endecaDataBean=com.homedepot.sa.el.wc.catalog.beans.EndecaDataBean@6efd532d&ddkey=Search

mounted the sack to the gate using tie wraps.

The rice sack naturally drains water due to it being somewhat porous and I used a soldering iron to melt holes in the top for seedlings/vines to grow out of... I also used a hot glue gun to make an edge around the hole to help keep the holes from becoming frayed over time.

Now I play the waiting game to see if there is enough soil, drainage, light... how well an annual does (1st year) versus using a perenenial vine for winter foliage for privacy...

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County