Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cheapest terracotta

Posted by Phildeez none (My Page) on
Wed, May 18, 11 at 1:58

I searched high and low for cheap, large terracotta pots for this season. Most places were $20 to $50 for 5ish gallon size pots necessary for successful vegetables! That is just insane to me.

Anyone else having this problem may want to check out IKEA, I was surprised to find them there when I went rug shopping! $5.99 for brand new terracotta pots, 5-7 gallons, haven't measured yet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cheapest terracotta

Have you checked Walmart (in person)? I was blown away by their pricing. I am a reluctant fan of Walmart, I am constantly finding they are priced lower than almost anyone else.

o

I did check Walmart, and, at least where I live, the terracotta remained extremely expensive. I was just at my local garden/hardware and it was literally $40 each for the same 5-gal terracotta, made by a different brand of course.

Walmart was great for DIY plastic containers, but not terracotta, IME. And plastice does not quite cut it in the heat of summer, where I live.

o

Do you have any mom and pop garden centers in your area? I used to work at one in the 80's. Those prices seem awfully high!

o

There are different manufacturing processes for terracotta pots. The method used is the primary factor in the cost. This link has a good explanation. The good news is that even the cheapies can last for years if properly maintained.

No ideas where you might want to shop, but at least you can know more about determining if you're getting what you pay for.

o

• Posted by pippi21 Zone 6b Silver Sprin (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 8, 11 at 22:19

We have a wonderful family owned/operated farm market/garden center. Their prices are more than HD but their quality and knowledge of their staff is fantastic and their garden center is great. On his pots and garden statues he is very high and you'd think he'd reduce the prices so he wouldn't have to store them all winter but his philosophy is that if he reduced them too much and sold them, it would probably cost him more to rebuy new items for the garden center when he reopens in the Spring for business. He has great fruit and vegetables and tries to buy from local farmers.

o

Walmart has cheap pots seasonally! I still haven't figured out the pattern because I am not container gardening but anyway.

o

Try thrift stores that sell household goods and not just clothes. With patience and several trips to my local thrift stores, I've found a good number of terracotta pots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here