Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed and Grass barrier mat

Posted by spotts 7 (My Page) on
Wed, May 3, 06 at 8:16

Hey All
Does anyone have any good suggestions to use for a weed or grass mat. I have a shed that I would like to place this mat around to deter anything from growing. I was going to place mulch on top of the mat when finished.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed and Grass barrier mat

Got any old roofing shingles? They will stop anything from growing around your shed. They're thin and after a couple of warm days will mold exactly to the surface of the soil they're laying on and since most of them have some kind of gritty surface, they hold onto mulch too. Carpeting would be another choice, but I don't like it as well becasue it tends to be so thick. If you wanted to spend money theres always that garden fabric which I don't prefer because weeds WILL grow through it, no matter how much you pay for it and if there is the slightest slope, mulch tends to slide off of it in a little rain. Cheryl

o
RE: Weed and Grass barrier mat

How about a thick (8-10 sheets) layer of newspaper under the mulch? Better for the soil if you ever do decide you want something to grow there, much easier to get rid of if you change your mind about wanting a barrier there, and way cheaper than landscape fabric.
The newspaper will eventually break down, but if your mulch is thick enough, you shouldn't have much problem with weeds. I have a couple areas that were done this way 2 years ago, one using hardwood mulch, the other using a neighbor's grass clippings, I have a weed popping through here and there, but they seem to be only in places that I didn't overlap the paper enough.
I've used roofing shingles on a pathway, they did keep the weeds completely blocked, and the grit on them kept the path from ever being slippery, but when I changed my mind about where I wanted to path to go, the shingles had deteriorated enough that they ripped into pieces when I pulled them up. And the soil underneath them was pretty icky/slimy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here