Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oleladyintheshoe

cement things

oleladyintheshoe
14 years ago

Hi all. This is my 1st time posting and if this has been answered somewhere else, please forgive me. I have been pouring over this forum for 3 days (bordering on obsession) and CANNOT neglect my kids, chores, etc anymore:) I could just kick myself at some of the things I've thrown away that could've been used for some amazingly creative uses! So, I've read several threads on using concrete for things. Particularly of interest to me is to make birdbaths and pond liners. I have never used concrete for anything other than filling a post hole so I am confused about how to make it rounded inside? Seems gravity would make it all pool at the bottom of the mold. Can someone explain? Please?

Comments (6)

• eatsivy
    14 years ago

Hi Oleladyintheshoe and welcome, I have worked with concrete, but not to make a birdbath or pond liner. You're post got my curiosity up so I did a quick Google search and found some instructions. Here is a link

Here is a link that might be useful: formless concrete bird bath instructions

• oleladyintheshoe
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hmm, thanks for the response. This seems pretty compex, in the "alot of work for a small area" type of way, but still doable for a birdbath. I had read on here about digging a hole for the molds so I think you could still use this with those instructions. Still not understanding how to use it for a pond liner. The original post said to use like waterbed or old pool liner then re-inforce with cement. Course, now that I think about it, I have only used quick-crete. Is that the same as concrete? Sorry, I didn't mean to say that out loud:) I am completely new to all this and still feel that I can do ANYTHING....if I only knew how!

• eatsivy
    14 years ago

Right on olel. quick-crete/concrete are basically the same. I'm not sure about the digging a hole method for your molds, but sounds like it makes sense - maybe someone else can point you to the original post. best of luck, eatsivy

• oleladyintheshoe
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks thanks thanks. All I know is that as of yesterday it was on page 13 (did I mention I've been obsessed)under "making birdbaths". Idk how to link posts .....YET!

• luckygal
    14 years ago

I'm late to this thread but bird baths made from concrete are pretty easy. I'll post a link below. I haven't made one but I've made many rhubarb leaf stepping stones which are pretty much the same thing except they are flat.

I have no experience with using concrete to line a pond but I think it might be easier to use either a rigid fiberglass or plastic liner or a flexible plastic one. I've found two of the rigid plastic ones at yard sales for $25 and $40. If you do decide to use concrete I think you can make the concrete mix fairly stiff and trowel it on to a wire form made of chicken wire perhaps. Must be info on the net on how to do this.

Here is a link that might be useful: sand cast bird bath

• iam3killerbs
    14 years ago

I sent that link to my crafty and artistic 15yo.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz