Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden pets free to keep

Posted by chip_1924 Canary Islands ex UK (My Page) on
Mon, May 8, 06 at 10:20

To be able to keep a pet horse would be an ideal animal for most serious gardeners, unfortunately most gardeners are, for one reason or another, unable to do so.

Many people never give a second thought to the world of one our most friendly animals, probaably because as pets we cant hug or pat them.

The lowly earthworm!

We can of course recognize their terrific value and nurture them. To a gardener, economically, they are infinitely more useful than the more stately pet horse.

Cultivate your worms and have a garden that will need no other fertilizers than natural compost.

The more worms you have the better the aeration and drainage.

So give them the treatment they deserve, treat them as pets and do not be squeamish about them and they will willingly be your servants in the garden.

Go into GOOGLE and type the two words worm cultivation or the two words growing worms. There you will be able to learn much about the little creatures. You can even encourage the children to grow them as pets for the garden because that is what they actually are.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden pets free to keep

Spiders are fun, too. I used to catch fat craneflies in my mom's lawn to feed to the big orb weavers.

This year we have a cluster of tiny babies next to our garage door.

Kristin

o

My mother allows spiders to live in her bathroom. She insists they recognize her and never bother her in any way. My kids are scared of Grandma's house.

o

I leave the spiders in the house be, too, usually *shrug*

Kristin

o

If you love earthworms, read Amy Stewarts book The Earth Moved. I just ordered a copy from Amazon,(which has used copies of just about everything for very little $.) It is really a fascinating look into the life and habits of earthworms. She has done a lot of research into this and has a nice style of writing.

I have started to be more aware of their existence now and actually think about watering areas to keep the worms happy.

They must be because I went out the other night with a flashlight to see if they were really there. Lo and behold! there were dozens of them all stretched out on a newly dug area of my front yard which is bare dirt at this point. I had sprinkled alfalfa meal on top along with a little bit of epsom salts. Pretty exciting. I also have a big bag of Starbucks coffee grounds which I sprinkled around which they love.

o
Some hate snails but

putting a plate with water and dog kibble on it (not much...) is of endless entertainment to small kids. The snails (if put on the plate) will happily absorb the water and eat the dog kibble.
Geckos and toads are also fun, and it does not take much to make them happy. Just a little water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here