Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Turning kitchen scraps into fertilizer

Posted by newbiegardener101 5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 25, 09 at 10:52

Does anyone know of any free ways to feed plants using kitchen scraps? For example, I have heard of people mixing cut up banana peel into the surface soil or spreading coffee grounds around plants. I am looking for free ways to easily add to the quality of my soil and help plants grow better.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Turning kitchen scraps into fertilizer

Making compost from your kitchen scraps and yard waste is the most frugal thing you can do in your garden.

And if you pay for your trash by the can or by the pound you can save money on that end too.

http://www.gardensalive.com/article.asp?ai=785

And check the compost forum here too.

o

• Posted by kandm 8b coastal alabama (My Page) on
    Thu, May 28, 09 at 0:19

Check out the compost forum, they have lots of good suggestions.

o

I agree, the soil, compost, and mulch forum is the best place to learn how to improve one's garden soil cheaply. I've learned a lot there. I now make a lot more compost than I used to. My DH just made two more bins using free pallets today. That makes 5 bins I now have. I get free sawdust and horse manure from a local stable which we layer with grass clippings for compost. We've also asked for and gotten free fruit and veggie trimmings at a couple of local grocery stores to add to the compost.

One thing I've done that some people don't always agree with is to just bury veggie kitchen scraps between perennials. I've never had a problem but some people think animals will dig it up. I live in a rural area and never had anything dig it up. The worms make short work of them and by the end of summer there's nothing left altho the soil is improved. If you feed the earthworms they will make lots of castings which are very good fertilizer. They also help loosen the soil as they tunnel thru.

If you use used coffee grounds (UCG) as fertilizer make sure you scratch them into the soil a bit otherwise they can repel water. I've gotten a huge amount of free UCG from a local coffee shop and used it to fertilize my lawn and speed up decomposition of my compost. The worms like these also.

Here is a link that might be useful: GW's Soil, Compost and Mulch forum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here