Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Capillary mat?

Posted by carol_MI z6 MI (My Page) on
Wed, May 11, 05 at 11:04

Trying to figure out how to cheaply duplicate those fancy seed starting systems they sell in Gardener's Supply. Basically, you set the trays on a low platform set in a flat filled with water. There's a capillary mat that covers the platform and drapes into the water, keeping the mat constantly moist and transferring it evenly to the trays. Anyways, I've got just about everything figured out except for the capillary mat. What would be a good, absorbant, resuable material to use for this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Capillary mat?

You can use most any material, like cotton (from tshirts) or denim. However, I would be worried about mold growing, since you start seeds indoors when the weather is still cold.

That's why I don't use a capillary mat or anything like it. Peat pots (and other peat products) are especially prone to mold.

o

• Posted by RHay z5 Colorado (My Page) on
    Wed, May 11, 05 at 16:19

I use capillary mats in my greenhouse and have had good luck with them. Rather than spending a fortune on the one's in the gardening catalogs, I went to Walmart and spent ~$10 on a blanket and cut it up. The one I got was almost 100% wool and is almost like thick felt. It's held up pretty well. In the spring I pull them up and put them in the washing machine with a little extra bleach to kill any bacteria etc. I bet a thrift store would have something similar for less money if you weren't fussy about the color.

o

You can use pieces of quilt batting.

o

I'd bet one of those old U-Haul blankets would be effective used that way.

o

How about layers of newspaper?

o

would they decompose too soon? (I don't know how long it takes)

o
Newspaper?

I don't think newspaper would work. The fibers are not far apart enough to get good capillary action. Try something like felt, or denim. Go get felt scraps at your local fabric store.

o

Brain Storm in Action. Disposalble Diapers. At last a positive ecological use for these throw-aways. Strip out the linings and allow one end to rest in your liquid source. And they are so cheap! Yeah, Yeah, new ones might be the smarter choice.

Cheers,

MacNutt

o

I found this link about using newspapers for capillary mats.

http://www.ag.auburn.edu/aaes/webpress/1991/recycled.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Newspapers for capillary matting

o

I have yards and yards of Thermolan Plus in my sewing room. Can I use this for capillary matting?

Thanks,
DL

o

Why not an old towel. They are 100% cotton and should wick just fine.

I don't think Quilt batting would work. There's too much polyester in it to wick properly.

o

Old Towels... BRILLIANT Idea! I am going to try that one in my greenhouse. (and I was getting ready to buy the $20 mats... free is always better!)

o

go to the army store and get some of their old wool blankets.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here