Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
newspaper pot problem

Posted by urbanorganics utah (My Page) on
Sat, May 2, 09 at 11:16

I am teaching students about reusing newspaper to make pots for seed starting, however, when the seedlings have their first true leaves-or- when I transplant a seedling from a peat pot into a newspaper pot- The growth is stunted and the plants turn pale (starting at the bottom). I have a control group that I planted and treated the same but in plastic pots and they look fantastic. It appears to be a nitrogen deficiency, but why only in the newspaper pots???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: newspaper pot problem

I dont understand if you are teaching them to use newspaper pots, why the peat pot? I use only the newspaper pots to start them and has no problem, do you have a hole in the newspaper pots?

o

me too, I am having loads of problems with the 10 peat pot I brought, none in my newspaper pot!

o

Well, we used the peat pots for starts for some of the plants but the majority of them were started in newspaper pots with plain seed starter. I would like to use only newspaper pots since it is good in many ways! Why the nutrient deficiency in the newspaper pots though??? (and no, I don't have holes in the newspaper pots, I didn't think that was necessary since the newspaper was permeable).

o

Oh get it??? the newspaper pots are the problem? I find they don't have the same mould problem as my peat pot but they dry out one hell of alot faster, I like them because you can bottom feed easily just add the water into a tray when the top is wet (doesn't take alot of time take them out), also how thick are your pots? they don't have to be too thick and they stand up well, you don't need holes as the roots seem to find there way out the bottom and I hear the sides in a vigrious plant, also the pot sizes may be bigger for the newspaper plant, I only mention this cos I have noted that my some of my plants in individual pots are doing worse than those crowded together?, I posted this under I think? are my plant argophobic?

o

The yellowing might not be due to a nitrogen deficiency, but an over watering problem. The outside of the newspaper pot might be dry, but the soil inside may be saturated. Stick your finger in and see how how damp it is. The plastic pots let the water dry out from the bottom, but the newspaper is always keeping it wet. Not a problem in my dry CO though!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here