Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need alternative to horticulture oil

Posted by krea Z8 Louisiana (My Page) on
Fri, May 5, 06 at 14:43

I posted this on the garden clinic forum, but that one is VERY slow and I kinda need an answer. So here I am:)

I have been told that the stuff on my camellia is scale. Here is a pic.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And another just for good measure.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And I know I have aphids on my gardenia bush. So I was told that to get rid of the scale I needed to use horticulture oil. However, I have zero money to go buy it. But I really need to get this taken care of cause I have brand new plants by it that I am scared are going to get "infected". So I was wondering if I could use regular vegetable oil or maybe canola oil as a substitute? Anyone have any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need alternative to horticulture oil

I had scale on my camellia. I was able to wash it off (with scrubbing). If your plant isn't too big, it's a labor-intensive but inexpensive treatment.

o
RE: Need alternative to horticulture oil

Over on the Organic Rose Growing forum I believe they say a light vegetable oil can be substituted. You might want to do a search there in case I forgot some caveat or another, though.

I made Cornell formula for my roses using grapeseed oil from my kitchen and it went fine. You're aware that oil can cause serious "burn" on hot sunny days, though, right?

Kristin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here