Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missleslieann_gw

Newspaper pots

missleslieann
19 years ago

I just saw a gadget to make a newspaper pot for seedlings in a catalog but I know I've seen folks here mention them before? Anyone care to explain how it's done?

Comments (25)

• robin_bird
    19 years ago

Here's a link to a recent thread on the organic gardening forum about newspaper pots.

Here's my experience this year.

I would not recommend buying the gadget. I did and found that for many of my plants the pots were too small. I used a soup can to make bigger pots and it worked great. You can decide how big a pot you want and pick your can, accordingly.

I cut strips of newspaper long enough to wrap around the can 2 to 3 times. The height of the paper was cut so that there was about 1 1/2 inches that hung down below the bottom of the can. I used a small piece of tape on the side of the pot. I folded the bottom and used another small piece of tape on the bottom.

They've been working great!

Here is a link that might be useful: newspaper pots

• Amino_X
    19 years ago

I too use gadgets of various sizes scrounged from about the house to make newpaper pots with.

The best size I've found so far is the butt of my flashlight (2 D cell). Just perfect for everything I've planted though I've also used the inner core of both Toilet Paper rolls and Bag-Rolls from my Tilia Vaccuum sealer.

Another thing, instead of buying replacement sponges for my Parks Biodome, I just cut a square of newspaper, roll it up in a cone, drop it into the styrofoam holder (making sure it's just slightly more than flush with the styrofoam) and fill with soil-less mix. Then just plant and follow the instructionst that came with the biodome :D

Best Wishes
    Amino-X

• debbieisbell
    19 years ago

Thanks for all the answers,I was planning on buying the gadget,now realize I don't have too.

• grayrecliner
    19 years ago

Got the gadget one year from Burpee Seed as a free gift. Have used it for several years and really like using the paper pots. Uses strips of paper about 3 1/2 " x 10". I cut the strips with a razor knife (several layers at a time) and sit in my old recliner by the woodstove in the winter making the pots (only takes a couple evenings for what I use). I'm sure the other methods would work too but I like the crimping done with the wood block.

• robin_maine
    19 years ago

There are directions on the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paper pots

• Eric_in_Japan
    19 years ago

I developed my own method of making newspaper pots that doesn't need tape, staples, or glue. I make five or ten a night during winter, sitting by the stove and watching old movies on TV.

Eric in Japan

Here is a link that might be useful: newspaper origami pots

• sylviatexas1
    18 years ago

What great ideas!

• robin_maine
    18 years ago

I've moved the paper pot instructions on my website. I didn't realize so many people were still looking at it until I checked the website statistics this morning. The new url is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paper Pots

• jroot
    18 years ago

I received an email from triple_b asking me to show how I make my paper pots.
    1. Find some a pot that nicely fits into another one:
    {{gwi:51289}}

2. Take a half sheet or so, and fold it in half, and then wrap it around the pot that fits inside, holding the side with your thumb:
    {{gwi:51290}}

3.Fold over the bottom as shown. It does not have to be a pretty fold LOL:
    {{gwi:51291}}

4. Press the paper firmly into the larger of the two pots. This will crease it nicely.
    {{gwi:51292}}

5.Carefully remove the smaller pot, and you will now have a paper liner inside the larger pot.
    {{gwi:51293}}

6. Plant inside the paper liner.
    - This saves some space, thus using less potting soil.
    - It also makes it easier to remove the plant in the spring for easy planting into the garden or pot without disturbing the root system, thus giving it a good "heads up" on traditionally transplanted plants.
    - The newspaper will compost in the garden.
    {{gwi:51294}}

{{gwi:51295}}

{{gwi:51296}}

{{gwi:51297}}

As you can see, I use these a lot with my dahlias, as well as my winter sowing.

{{gwi:51298}}

{{gwi:51299}}

• triple_b
    18 years ago

THANKS J!

• andham2000
    17 years ago

Also added on a movie clip of how to make a newspaper pot. http://www.selfsufficientish.tv/newspaperstream.mov this is the easiest way possible to make them too.

Here is a link that might be useful: newpaper pots video

• socks
    17 years ago

I've made these newspaper pots with elementary school kids. I bought some really nice wood forms which are used to make the pots from newspaper strips, then I found that a small fish food container works just as well. We tape them together just to be sure they are secure. You have to watch them when they are planted because they can dry out pretty fast. It's an inexpensive way to start seeds.

• sumnerfan
    17 years ago

Forgive me for asking, but I am new to gardening; can these newspaper pots be planted with the new plant or does the plant have to be removed from the newspaper pot before planting?

Thanks,

Kim

• vicfish
    17 years ago

I'm new also. FROM ABOVE: It also makes it easier to remove the plant in the spring for easy planting into the garden or pot without disturbing the root system, thus giving it a good "heads up" on traditionally transplanted plants.
    - The newspaper will compost in the garden.

• almendra
    17 years ago

Eric in Japan,
    Thanks for posting the origami pot, I found it fascinating, difficult but fascinating...

• Scott Schluter
    16 years ago

Thanks for the origami pots directions. I made a bunch: http://schluterhomestead.blogspot.com/2007_05_01_archive.html Making some more for later plantings. I plan on spreading out the fabrication next year through the winter so it won't seem to take as much time.

• lilacs_of_may
    16 years ago

I tried making the origami pots. Although I do regular origami, I couldn't make any sense of the origami pot instructions.

I guess I just stick to peat pots....

• lilacs_of_may
    16 years ago

Here's an origami box.

Here is a link that might be useful: Origami box

• lilacs_of_may
    16 years ago

Took me hours tonight, but I'm stubborn. I finally found a site where the original instructions are clarified. These are much easier to understand. I actually made an origami seed pot. I also discovered that the London Globe, or whatever he's using, is a different size and shape from the Denver Post. Using my newspaper, I kept getting something that had no flaps, and it kept coming apart.

Here is a link that might be useful: Origami newspaper pots

• geckospyker
    16 years ago

I found Eric's page first this morning in looking for instructions on making newspaper seedling starting pots. I thought they were fairly easy to follow and have made 4 in varying sizes in my practice sessions. I like this pattern because it makes the pot a little thicker on the sides and bottom. What I don't like is the extra flaps being so long and difficult to crease. I also tried Lilacs_of_may's suggested pattern. It is a little more involved than Eric's, but the outcome is neater and cleaner, I must admit. Not a necessity since they'll be put in the ground anyway, but it might make them easier to work with in the meantime. My only change would be to use 2 pieces of newspaper or fold the sheet in half to make the box so it's a bit more sturdy. It's time to start wintersowing so I'm going to give both a try.

Here is a link that might be useful: Earthformed.com: The avid gardeners source for information on gardening, landscaping, conservation and related topics. Helping the world to gain an appreciation for the Earth and all she has to offer - one gardener at a time!

• marquette
    16 years ago

Many of the links above didn't open, so I googled around and found a site with video instructions. Very easy to make those pots using a sturdy vessel (the young woman in the video uses a drinking glass).

Click on the arrow in lower left corner of video 'screen' to activate the video. Be patient. Instructions follow a how-to lead-in of sorts. No, it aint me in the video....

Here is a link that might be useful: How to make newspaper seed-starter posts - video

• dorisl
    16 years ago

Thanks for the video link, I was never smart enough to figure out how to do that from the written directions. (I used to be smart, honest!).

Anyway, seems to be that folding it in quarters isnt deep enough? What do you guys think? I did the origami pots last year and it was kinda sorta not worth it.

:)

The plastic bottles are working out well for me tho.

• marquette
    16 years ago

Doris, if you want a deeper pot, fold the newspaper till you have the desired width (the width becomes hight when it's a pot). If you need to, use two double pages of newspaper to make the larger pots sturdier.

• ilene_in_neok
    16 years ago

Today I made square newspaper pots and I think I'm going to like them better. I used a square wooden pencil holder as my form. It was part of a desk set. But you could use anything that you want to. This pencil holder is about 3" on all four sides and about 4" tall.

I took a sheet of newspaper, already folded once, and cut it along the second fold, where it naturally gets folded before the carrier rolls it into a roll. I took each piece, (about 10" x 28"), and folded it once, long ways. This resulted in a strip about 5" x 28". Then I just wrapped the strip around the form until I got to the end of the paper strip. Put a small piece of tape down to hold it. Then turn over your form and fold the paper down like you're wrapping the end of a Christmas present. Put a little piece of tape down to hold that.

Because they're square, they fit together better in a tray (I use old cake pans I buy at garage sales, and just put the pots in rows in the pan). Because the bottoms have been folded flat, they sit up better.

I really like the idea of newspaper pots. So economical, so recyclable, so much easier on the plants when it's time to set out, and the newspaper acts like a sponge and helps keep the plant roots moist between rains. There's no need to unfold the pot when you plant because the roots will grow right through, but if you really want to, it's quick and easy. If you like round ones, you can use tomato paste can for the form. I found these to be a little too small and liked to use a soup can better. You can make them as deep as you want, really. Provided that you use enough layers, you can just about make your newspaper pot any size (and shape) that you want.

The origami pots are cute, but they take more time to make, and I must be "origami challenged" because mine are always lop-sided. I also like a little more paper at the bottom than these end up having.

The wonderful thing about all these options is that you have lots of ways to choose from, whatever works best for you!

• zengeos
    16 years ago

Boy the boxes look waay too complicated for me! the ring ones look much quicker and easier. I think I'll use that principle and modify it for quicker decomposition to allow direct planting outside. Maybe 1/2 the wraps will suffice, and allow a direct planting.