Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
novice_2009

newbie seeks creative input

novice_2009
14 years ago

I'm new to gardening and composting. However I saw some threads and posts where you creative ladies describe turning " trash" into garden art and decorations. Wanting an old cottage garden feel to my garden.....now I could go to local nursery and buy a rusted trellis and such for $50, or ask for your creative tips. I have a lot of ugly things to hide, want to make a privacy fence between my house and busy street.....other than yard sale and trash hunting, where could i find things for this and how could i make them pretty? Any tips, techniques, anything would be appreciated. Any links to garden projects using these methods would be great too. Thanks!!!!!!!!

Comments (10)

• heather38
    14 years ago

Hi, I think you wanted garden junk, they are so brilliant on there.

• eatsivy
    14 years ago

toogreen where are you?

• eatsivy
    14 years ago

Do you have access to willow? I've have used long willow branches to make simple tee-pee trellises. Long branches could be used to build a screen. good luck with which ever way you get creative in your cottage garden

eatsivy

Here is a link that might be useful: living willow structure

• troseph_ut
    14 years ago

I learned how to lash from this site. I saved a ton making my "ghetto-green" trellis from fallen branches.

{{gwi:51326}}

Here is a link that might be useful: How to lash:

• troseph_ut
    14 years ago

Here is that trellis picture.. I guess twitpic doesn't like hotlinking. {{gwi:51328}}

• novice_2009
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Um, thanks. Just trying to make my surroundings and garden more beautiful, without spending a lot. My husband is laid off, and money is tight. I need to block some of the busy street for privacy, and for kids safety. Can't and don't want to go out and buy 10 shrubs, or a trellis, or fence.
    Thanks for the link.

• Carol_from_ny
    14 years ago

Novice, you might want to think about starting your own shrubs from cuttings. All it takes is some root hormone and a friend willing to share some clippings you can get nearly free shrubs.

• novice_2009
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks carol, that's a great idea!

• mid_tn_mama
    14 years ago

Use the chain link fence as the bottom part of your trellis. It's free and very stable.

First thing I'd do is plant peas or beans up that chain link fence. You could put taller (than the chain link fence)poles next to the chain link fence every five feet or so and run fishing string between them to add height for the beans to grow up.

If you can't afford the packet of beans (vining) from the dollar general, consider planting a package of kidney beans from the grocery store.

Or try cucumbers.

Since your husband is out of work, I'd focus on growing as much FOOD as I could.

Save your rotted tomatoes for seed. Plant the last 1/4 inch tip of the onions and plant for green onions. Dry and plant the divet that contains an eye from your potatoes. You can grow a lot for free! Search for "grocery store" in this forum and you will get lots of free ideas.

Send me your email address and I'll send some more ideas.

• novice_2009
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks md tn mama. I'm in TN too! those were some good ideas, and since that area gets enough sun, I could do veggies there. I'll check grocery store. Thanks so much!!

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions