Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need way to repair Plastic to Plastic break

Posted by sunslight Utah z5-6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 15, 08 at 0:18

Anyone know how to glue plastic back to the same plastic?
The type of plastic is unknow.

What I'm trying to make solid again are the spokes to my lawn mower wheels. The wheels are $30. If gorrila glue will do it, that'd be a huge savings.

I tried using regular super glue, as well as gel super glue, it didn't adhere (set) at all.

Nearly every super glue has the notice that it will glue "some plastics," or "most plastics." Some say not for plastic.

I've yet to see any plastic that these glues will put back together.

I essentially need to "weld" the broken spokes back together. If you know of a glue or any other adhesive that will work, please let me know.

--oh, I did find one "super glue" that was for plastic. It "melted" the plastic so it would bond; then you were to apply the fix that made it set--only that part didn't work. The glue melted the plastic but no mixing it back to being hard. I was left with a worse, broken part, than if I had not applied the super glue for plastic. I had to throw the item out.

With the wheel at $30, if there is any way to save it, your suggestions will be very helpful.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need way to repair Plastic to Plastic break

I generally use epoxy for something like that - get the kind that is in two little tubs and it'll last forever for about 4 bucks at Home Depot. The slower it cures, the stronger it is, generally. (5 minuste epoxies generally last 20 minutes before they break again. :) Clean it well and rough it up if it needs it.

In your particular situation, I'd probably pick up a cutting board at the dollar store, cut a new inner diameter for the wheel, drill it and epoxy it in place. Those cutting boards are strong and useful.

Good luck!

o

Epoxy is the way to go. Know anyone with some mighty putty? I just repaired a broken freezer door shelf with it, rebuilt a broken piece on the end of the plastic bracket and sanded it to the right shape. Mighty putty is easy cuz the mixing can be messy and its pre measured but I know that other people do fine with the 2 little tubs and that would have worked for my fridge shelf as well.
good luck, kathy

o

I would consider two part epoxy or maybe PVC glue. Another possibility is to forget the plastic and use a thin piece of metal instead.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here