Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to do with scrap rain gutters?

Posted by joannaw 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 1, 09 at 16:08

Just had new gutters installed-- the roofer guys left a pile of the scrap out by the road-- some gutters I guess and the drain pipes that ran down the corners of the house. Seems like these should be useful for something-- any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to do with scrap rain gutters?

How about using them to grow hydroponic veggies?

here is a post that someone had made where they thought of using a gutter:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hydro/msg0218110910566.html

I've experimented with a timer where I had flood a chamber for 30 mins and then emptied it out for 30 mins which (i guess) can give you a little different perspective on using a Nutrient Film Technique with the gutter. I did this using a cheap timer that I had obtained from home depot and it worked wonderfully. I didn't use a gutter so I don't know about the issues with the gutter being too flexible... etc... Perhaps with proper support you could get around this but then again the PVC might wind up being cheaper than buying the materials needed for supporting the gutter.

o

if they r aluminum recycle them here the gutter guys usually take it if its aluminum.cans worth .35$/# here.

o

Well, they came back and hauled them away yesterday afternoon, so I guess I don't have to come up with something after all. No hydroponics for me I guess (at least not with rain gutters!) Maybe I should have recycled them myself when I had the chance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here