Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recycle Garage Doors?

Posted by camontour (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 27, 06 at 19:15

Hello! I am replacing two 8 x 7 vintage wood tilt up garage doors from my 1932 garage. Before I have them hauled away to the dump, does anyone have any ideas for a recycle project? Or, could they be worth any money? Thanks in advance for your advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recycle Garage Doors?

I don't have any ideas for use of your garage doors, but I can tell you they aren't really worth anything. My husband does garage doors for a living and he has to charge the customers to take the doors away since he has to pay to get rid of them himself.

Some of the flat panel doors (they are like 2 foot tall or so, not one piece) we've used to keep the dog out of certain areas in the yard, to put down on the ground for a winter to really flatten the spot where our patio was going, and we've burned some. We have some still set aside so we can "someday" make a small ice rink for the kids (those will be the sides). Sorry I didn't have more useful ideas for you!

o

Since your garage doors are wood, that helps. If they
were metal, this would not work so well.

I saw on some garden show, someone had used their two
garage doors,into a sort of pergola.

They had stood the two doors facing each other. Built a
bench inside each one facing each other. Then framed the
top with wood beams, or planks, like a wooden pergola.

This was used to grow vines on. A seating area, and
a breeze way all in one.
I don't know if I explained it well enough that you
can invision this in your mind??
Hope so, as they were really nifty!
Mary

o

If you haven't already ditched them...

Do you have a saw? I think they would make great garden gates, either free standing or in a fence. If they are built so that you can cut them you could also make planters, and tables, and stools, etc for outside use. You could also attach it to the side of the garage, a shed, back of the house, etc..., put up some chicken wire, and use it as a trellis back ground. Or attach shelves for potted plants and garden things. Could possibly use them for raised beds if you need those.

If they could be cleaned up enough for inside use, you could make a table or desk or coffee table. AND, if you have enough space inside, I've seen some really neat barn doors recycled for closet doors, room dividers, etc. They use a track system (on the wall) and to access the room or closet the door slides back and forth. Of course, some of the track system is sticking out even when the door is closed, but it's a really cool look.

Come to think of it, I could use something like that in my entry hallway. One wall is always getting dinged or smudged. That would be a great way to solve that problem. Paint it an accent color, attach coat hooks and maybe a mirror or two, and you have a sturdy wall that's not as delicate or hard to clean as drywall.

Oh, and you could make a head board or two from them!

Can you tell I'm an HGTV junkie?

Wish I had seen this forum sooner... After this lecture, do you even still have them?

tr

o

Thank you all for your great thoughts and ideas. Sorry trsinc -- like djscrapbook said, the garage door guys cut them up and took them away. :( I would have loved to have seem them get a second use. I bet they would have made great room dividers...

However, all your ideas inspired me to make an art project from the old windows.

Christy

o

Christy,
Check out the "garden junk" forum for ideas on reusing your windows. There are always so many fun ideas on that forum, lots of creative people write in.
Let us know what you decide on.
Tina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here