Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plastic pots to look real

Posted by reecemj 8 Tx (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 3, 05 at 10:57

For my budget clay pots ain't cheap.Anyone have any ideas how

to make the plastic terra cotta color pots look real.

thanks

Reece

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plastic pots to look real

You can achieve a stone look. There is a plastic primer availabe in a spray can and also a paint that will give them a stone look. I saw these products last year at either Home Depot or Lowes. Good luck.

o

~I am not sure if you would be interested in this or not but thought I would pass along the info!~

If you go over to the Garden Junk forum (which is my home!) and look under FAQ, about half way down the page are links #1, #2 and #3 about making plastic nursery pots look like the fancy type you buy in the stores. Some of the pictures are amazing, you would never know it had started out as a plastic container! Come on over and take a peek!

Della

o

I am going right now, Della! Came here to see what, if anything, I could do with my latest find. Near a new building, landscapers tossed a bazillion 5gal nursery pots after landscaping the site. I saw them from my office window and snapped 'em up pronto. Thanks, Della, the Garden Junk faq is for me!
LU

o

A book I've got somewhere on container gardening gives instructiosn on how to make a stone look planter out of a polystyrene box. You cover it in some yoghurty mixture (and other stuff) and the algae makes it look like natural stone after a bit. I'll have a look for the book and type the instructions out for you if I find it.

Another thing I did was using leftover decking to create a surround for a plastic window box so it looked like a wooden window box but that only really works if you've got some leftover decking from something else. Maybe worth keeping an eye out though as often people chuck away stuff like that.

o

Crafty_Canuck - thank you for that link. I have checked out that forum before but never looked at the faq. And I have lots of ugly 5 gallon pots to get started on.

Carey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here