Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ezzirah011

Can potatoes from the grocery store grow?

ezzirah011
13 years ago

I was wondering and got in a friendly argument with someone that I was hoping everyone on the board could help with. Can you take potatoes from the grocery store, let them get "eyes" and have them grow potatoes?

thanks!

Comments (17)

• ga_karen
    13 years ago

Yes, I do it all the time! They generally do get sprayed with a retardant that keeps them from sprouting sooner, but it won't stop them.
    Had one come up in a compost pile from a peeling this year, it produced a fist sized tater!

• ezzirah011
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you! I decided to grow some potatoes for the fall garden and decided too late to buy seed potatoes.

Thanks!

• garf_gw
    13 years ago

I store store bought baking potatoes in ziploc bags and they are constantly sprouting roots.

• texas_is_home
    13 years ago

yes!! i grew some this year! i asked myself the same question and i decided to put a few stor bought russet potatoes into the ground and they grew just fine!!! (they grew small potatoes sadly because i wasnt there to take care of them for a while) bottom line...yes they can and will grow!

@gakaren
    i had a cabbage grow like that. i threw it into the compost and it grew. fascinating!

• boozie
    13 years ago

When is the best time to plant potatoes? AND, could you not just put potting soil in the cardboard box?

• johngrew
    13 years ago

Thanks gtippitt, that box method is a good idea.
    Just wondering when you say "vines" are you talking about sweet potatoes ?

• ezzirah011
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I love the cardboard box idea! I am going to have to do that!

yes, potting soil would work...

• lynngun
    9 years ago

Store bought potatoes are more likely to have potato diseases then ones grown for planting. (Would it be the potato blight?) I prefer not to take the chance of contaminating my garden. Also, I enjoy growing blue/purple potato which are not in my local grocery stores.
    If it works for you the potatoes will grow. They may not be as good to grow because they were bred to grow the way the grocery stores want them. Despite this, it is your choice.

Also, I think I will try the cardboard box idea this year. It sounds amazing.

I hope that you enjoy your homegrown potatoes.
    L.G.

• sylviatexas2
    9 years ago
    You might be on the alert for people selling potatoes at farmer's markets or roadside stands; just ask them if they grew the potatoes themselves, or if the potatoes were grown commercially.

I did read a sad potato story in a rose book;
    author Liz Drouett, a garden writer & organic rose grower, heard that pioneers would stick rose cuttings in a potato & carry them across the continent to their new homes. & it worked!

She tried it & every cutting shriveled & turned black.

An older gardener clued her in:
    you have to use potatoes that don't have the growth retardant.
  • garf_gw
    9 years ago

Store bought potatoes have growth retardant in them? Then we eat them? They're trying to kill us.

• purslanegarden
    9 years ago

Yes when you buy bread from a fresh bakery and see how quickly it deteriorates and begins having mold, you get a better understanding for all the preservatives we eat all the time.

That's why some people want more organic foods or foods that they grow on their own.

In the meantime, though, I've always just put in about 1/2 or all of the potatoes I get from the grocery stores. Even though each eye could be a new plant by itself, but I like the plant to have whatever nutrition it can get from the potato while it begins its new life.

• Sheryl Gallant
    9 years ago

I have grown a field full of potatoes from ones I got at the grocery store.

• Yoshimi Dragon
    8 years ago

I've been giving them away all spring... sprouted potato plants. This is what happens when the dear spouse keeps buying potatoes.

Sweet potatoes will also sprout and can be planted. They were tougher, but eventually I got a good organic set that is currently sprouting white roots into water. oddly enough, one is sending its roots upwards. Maybe they're directional beasts?!!!

• mellarcomadrin
    8 years ago

isn't the potato the "root" and the eyes = where the shoots grow from? at least that is what i think happened when i grew potato plants. It was only for one season and I never did it again as space is limited and there are other plants that I prefer to grow.

• lynngun
    8 years ago

The part of the potato plant that we eat is not a root. It is an "edible Tuber" according to Wikipedia.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato The eyes are where the stems and the roots grow from.

• HU-574592682
    3 years ago

Here is an article by someone who found that the growth retardant used on sweet potatoes is neutralized by Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C). This might work on white potatoes too

https://duckweedgardening.com/2013/02/24/sprouting-store-bought-sweet-potatoes-win/

Sponsored