Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mop water with Mr. Clean

Posted by raysizemore3 z5/6 N.OH (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 12, 05 at 22:48

I mop my business floor almost every morning, using 2-3 gallons of water and about 4 oz. of Mr. Clean. Outside, we have a half whiskey barrel planter full of flowers. The obvious question: will the leftover mop water be helpful or harmful to the plants?

The active ingredient in Mr. Clean is 0.34% sodium hydroxide, which would translate to a small amount (1/74th of an ounce) in my bucket before mopping. This ingredient will presumably push the ph of my potting mix up-- will this be a noticable effect, given the tiny amount of NaOH? Will the other properties of Mr. Clean (antibacterial, "grease-cutting" ingredients in the other 99.66% of the solution) have any effect, or will they be neutralized by dilution and/or heavy bacterial loads from the floor?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

--Ray

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mop water with Mr. Clean

You will kill your plants.

o

Not that I'm disagreeing, but which ingredient(s) in what concentration be problematic?

--RLS3

o

Ray - from a technical standpoint, I can't answer that - lol!!

However, I will say that when I filled a 5-gallon bucket with lukewarm water & added just a capful of Mr. Clean (far less than 4 ounces), & when finished poured the bucket outside, it killed the grass.

o

Sodium hydroxide is lye. If you want to pour lye on your plants, have at it. Here's a link with more info.

Here is a link that might be useful: sodium hydroxide

o

Hi Ray, switch to one of the orange based cleaners and you'll get a better value for your money. Orange oil in low concentrations makes things smell wonderful and acts as a low grade, non-problematic insecticide. I've used a weak solution for watering my houseplants when they had bugs or slugs/snails and had NO problems with the plants, just nice clean soil.

o

As long as it gets the floors as clean, that could be a win-win.

And frugal!

o

Yep, orange oil based products are much better....and reusable! Definitely a win/win.

o

Use ammonia when cleaning--makes a great fertilizer later.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here