Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Use water from water softener discharge ?

Posted by marylynh1 So Cal (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 18, 04 at 23:29

I read through the posts on using water from the dehumidifier -- We want to know if it is OK to water Camellias/ornamental plants and lawns with water softener discharge brine using potassium chloride (not sodium chloride/salt). Didn't know where to ask -- would appreciate your comments.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Use water from water softener discharge ?

I'd start by checking with the water softner folks - they would be liable for damages if their product harmed you or your property so they should know what you can and cannot do with it.
Nik

o

I second Lady's thoughts.

Just a thought...Potassium is the K in NPK plant food. Not sure how all those chlorides would do in the ground. The brine should also contain a lot of Magnesium (macronutrient/mineral that is used in photosynthesis) and Calcium. The link from dollar stretcher might be of interest to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Calcium

o

We used to use the potassium in our water softener and were told by several sources that it was very good for our plants. Nothing in my garden seemed harmed when I used that water.

Unfortunately it was very bad for our water softener (doesn't dissolve completely, ended up building up rock hard sediment several inches deep in the bottom).

So now we use the sodium and put a bypass on our faucets for the outside water.

Marie

o

We've been in this house 4 years and I'm a city gal, new to wells, softeners and septic tanks/field. We first used the salt whose backwash killed a big swatch of grass. The neighbors put their salty backwash into their CONCRETE septic tank, not a good idea I was told. So we switched to potassium chloride and every week I have to use wink to remove the brown stain in the toilet and my skin smells awful after a shower because of the high iron content in the water. The potasium chloride did not do a good job removing it and the softener guys have come out twice because the water keeps getting worse. But the grass area did not get worse. So after 6 months, we are going back to the salt-too bad for the grass-although the quack grass doesn't mind the salted water. So as I remove the quack grass from the flower beds, I transplant it into the run-off area. LOL. and all of you thought quack grass had no value.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here