Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cohouser

Recycling the plants themselves

cohouser
14 years ago

I swore to myself that this year I would be more restrained with my plant purchases, but I still spent way too much on annuals. I have a large front porch and a small back yard that nevertheless does have room for hanging baskets and a large planter, so I'm vulnerable to temptation.

I had one blindingly obvious brainstorm for plant recycling last fall, when I noticed the big sweet potatoes that had developed during the summer underneath the picturesque chartreuse leaves that form such nice colorful trailing vines. I kept the potatoes and re-rooted them, and this summer I've had nice colorful trailing chartreuse vines for free.

So now I'm wondering if you frugal gardeners out there have suggestions for similar re-use of other annuals. I don't have a whole lot of sunny room indoors at my place, so I can't bring all the plants in and baby them through the winter. I've seen descriptions of keeping geraniums over the winter by hanging them upside down in a cool place (I think), but have never tried it, and that's the kind of idea I'm looking for. Has anyone successfully done such a thing with geraniums, and do you have suggestions for what to do with other plants? I'm thinking my canna lilies, small begonias, creeping charlie, vinca, and dusty miller might be candidates -- maybe even the pansies in my fence planters?. I could make some room for pots in my one sunny place, but they'd have to have good potential for surviving indoors until the warm weather comes around again.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional