Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
freshair2townsquare

I luv craigslist!

I am soooo in love with Craigslist!

Three days ago, I went to two women's homes and received trumpet vine starters, pink verbena, dwarf mexican petunia and purple coneflower seedheads. Yesterday and today, I went to two other homes and collected about a 1/2 cubic yard of irregular limestone rocks and almost 300 clean bricks that are complementary to my home's brick. The best part is that every bit of this was completely FREE!

Yippee!

So I want to hear what y'all have been able to get from Craigslist lately.

Comments (19)

• jroot
    15 years ago

Very interesting. I had to google it to find out what you were talking about, but eventually found it.

http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/ca

• freshair2townsquare
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, sorry - just assumed.

I use the Dallas site. They have sites for almost every major city/region in the states. I've never used the other categories (personal, jobs, etc), only the For Sale. Within that, there's a Free section. It's sort of like an online garage sale.

Over the last four months, I've also gotten a concrete birdbath for $25 and about 60 linear feet of cut limestone also for $25, as well as Oklahoma flagstone, fill dirt and cinder blocks for free. But the past four days have brought such a Craigslist bounty, I had to shout.

Here is a link that might be useful: Craigslist Main Site

• msyoohoo
    15 years ago

It's great! Freecycle too! I've given a ton of stuff away. I got a fridge for my garage and earlier this summer a lady who has been growing her garden for 25+ years was giving perennials away. I thought I would get 3 or 4 but she gave me 25-30 plants! I had a lot of digging to do!

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Thanks for the post! I live in a much smaller city, but I still ended up getting some freebies just now after I saw this thread! WooHoo!

~Angela

• laurastheme
    15 years ago

A couple months ago we brought home a whole pickup load of free plants advertised on Craig's list.

• billinpa
    15 years ago

25x25 EPDM 40 mil pond liner for $75 new. craigslist. love that site!!!! freecylce is nice but you have to be quick or the good stuff is gone and it loads you up with emails.

• drafted72
    15 years ago

Be Careful of Craigslist !

About 6 weeks ago, I list my old Maytag Washer & Dryer which were like new for $150. Anyway a woman wrote to me asking me how much and would I deliver them? I told her I would deliever them for .20 per mile and they were $150 as listed in the ad. Anyway, she wrote back saying they should be free because she was 'blessed' by God and for me to be blessed too I should bestore blessing on her and give them to her for FREE !

I wrote back saying NO, and I got back a hate filled email telling me that I only cared about money.......

• roseyp8255
    15 years ago

I do freecycle and love it - have gotten rid of lots of stuff that way - including giving away houseplants (my extras) to a newbie, leftover tile pieces for crafts, a couch, etc. Got a set of wedding cake tier pool steps free (RV $499).

i do the daily digest emails - some i win on, some i don't.

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

Craigslist and Freecycle, 2 of my favorite sites!
    I have gotten tons of stuff through CL, some free, some purchased. Furniture, household stuff (I bought an unused Scooba, the floor mopping robot, like Roomba the vacuum, for I think $75. They're about $300 new- that's when I was hooked...) Even our travel trailer.
    I built my garden from free stuff from CL & Freecycle. Redwood boards, once a deck, are my raised beds. Filled with composted horse manure, and other organic materials, all gathered for free that way.
    Gotta be careful though, it can be a bit addictive. I've finally managed to back off my CraigsList checking... When I had a big list of things I needed to get when we moved into our house, I think I'd check it at least 4 times a day...

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

I just got about 200 large, dark red bricks for my raised garden beds. Wow! I NEVER see anything good here in Craigslist, but since I kept looking once a week or so, I found these right after they were posted. The man I spoke to about them said I was the ONLY one who's responded so far. I tell you, it's worth glancing over the freebies once or twice a week even in a smaller city just to see what might be in the 'free' section. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS POST!!!! I couldn't be more excited! Here's a picture of what the bricks looked like tonight when I started hauling them off:

{{gwi:52125}}

They looked a whole lot better up close, but at least you get the idea of what they are from the picture. Isn't that amazing? WoooooooooooooHoooooooooooooooooo!

~Angela

• freshair2townsquare
    Original Author
    15 years ago

good for you, angela

yes, greenbean, it can be addictive :-)

• indalyne
    15 years ago

I'm going to have to haunt those sites now. I wouldn't have guessed they had landscaping stuff. Thanks!

I got all my limestone (big, old, gorgeous limestone I might add) when I saw an ad in the building supplies section of the classifieds in the local paper by a farmer who was giving away the foundation of an old barn for free. At least 50 people showed up to tear it down for him and cart it home!

• diane_v_44
    15 years ago

Angela

Those red bricks do look very good
    Lots of things they can be used for, for sure

• beachbarbie
    15 years ago

My husband just bought a 5' tool cabinet on wheels FULL of tools for $200.
    Last month he got 2 sleeper sofas, one love seat, one fake leather chair, a dresser, coffee table and a few other odds and ends for FREE. The person had sold their rental condo and were giving away the furniture.
    I got a pair of new Timberland boots for $15.
    Last week I got 100' of PVC pipe for free and, from another person, 100' of 1/2" rubber tubing; I'm going to put them together for a drip system for my greenhouse.
    I've also sold plants on there.
    Freecycle - love it. List of things I've gotten and given away is too big to list.
    Barb

• billie_ladybug
    15 years ago

I've done a bunch of stuff on CL, only had one person that was a scammer, but have found a few that were DUH. But in the long run, love it!! I am finishing potting up a bunch of strawberries that I got from a local man who was trimming the runners from his plants. Thank you so much Bob and CL

Billie

• roxanne777
    15 years ago

I love craigslist and freecycle. Obtained lots of bricks,3 shrubs,liriope,landscaping timbers,a wheelbarrow and old windows for free.Not to mention toys,books and clothing.Could have proably gotten more things for free,but gas was so high last year that I couldn't justify the mileage for the item's.

• laurastheme
    15 years ago

I check CL at least once a day. Monday I got a papasan chair (free) that I'm going to use for a planter in our yard.

• mawehe63
    14 years ago

wow ive never actually been on craigslist but now i think ill have to check it out thanks!

• zeuspaul
    14 years ago

I found my wonderful, beautiful and very frugal wife on Craig's List.

Forever Greatful

Zeuspaul

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County