Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caseyst_sc

Finally, A Use For Seed Catalogs

caseyst_sc
19 years ago

We all have them, we all hate to throw them away. I finally came up with a use for last year's catalogs that I'm quite happy with. I have an antique oak desk that I do all my work on (computer's there, crafting things, writing, bills, etc.. you know, desk stuff). It doesn't like coffee mugs or cups or much else that's damp (or could be) sitting on it. One day I picked up a beautiful bulb catalog I'd gotten in the mail and wasn't going to order from and stuck it under the cup. It had to be the biggest, prettiest coaster I ever used, and it's been there ever since. It protects the desk, holds drinks, a great place to put a mug of hot soup, even a supper plate when I'm confined to the desk for a meal. Best thing about it is, when it gets wet or messed up or even just boring, take off the front page, toss it in the trash and you have another page full of new flowers or vegetables to brighten your desk. Sure, it's simple, but boy is it frugal!

So far, this is my best one yet... anybody else have a use for them?

Casey

Comments (16)

• trowelgal Zone 5A, SW Iowa
    19 years ago

Yes. I cut the pictures out and glue them on one side of an 8X5 index card. On the other side I write when I put the plant in the ground, where I bought it or who the seeds came from. Helps to see what the seed will produce while you're trying to be patient.
    A friend of mine cuts out the pictures and decopages them onto old chairs and end tables then sells them. I have a low chair in my bedroom she did and it's lovely.
    TrowelGal

• Crafty_Canuck
    19 years ago

Hello Friends:

That is a terrific idea TrowelGal, I bet it really looks great on an old chair!

Della

• storygardener
    19 years ago

Someone brought some seed catalogues to our plant swap last spring. They were a great reference books - and very portable too.

Beverly

• birdannelady
    19 years ago

I keep a garden journal. In it I talk about plants such as what is blooming when, which plants are doing well, what combinations I like, etc. I take photos of the yard and paste these into the journal to remember how certain combinations and beds looked. When I buy new plants, I put the tag in the journal and will sometimes cut the picture out of the catalog to show how this plant is supposed to look and add any other info about the plant such as hardiness etc. Since I write the journal in date order, when I finish a journal, I make an index for the back cover of new plants in it that have info. on them so I can find it again. I find that I enjoy going back and reading the journals from past years to see what I did and how it looked then. The pictures add to it and I can also add comments such as "My Rozanne Geranium never did look this full but only had 3-4 blooms at a time."

• njcher
    19 years ago

I'll bet it would be fun to look at your garden journals from years past.

Cher

• fammsimm
    19 years ago

You can also make your own greeting cards by cutting out images from seed catalogs, or from old wallpaper sample books.

• AustinApril
    19 years ago

I met someone who uses them as seed packets. She was a dear and actually sent me samples so I could see what she meant. They were like works of art, and, of course, I save seeds...

(My daughter, 7, begged for some of "those beautiful pockets" when she saw them.)

• elvis
    19 years ago

I use them to make seed packets, too. I'm sure it brings a smile to the recipient's face when he/she makes a trade with me.

• birdannelady
    19 years ago

That's a great idea to use them for seed packets. Thanks.
    And to NJCher, I do have some friends who like to read my garden journals. They do give me lots of pleasure.

• stateofnewyork54
    19 years ago

You could use the the catalogues by cutting the pictures then glueing it to your seed packets so you know how they're supposed to look like. It also makes the seek packets look prettier

• Braveland4H
    19 years ago

Birdannelady, I'm glad to hear someone else keeps a garden journal. It's my most useful garden tool. I hadn't thought of using catalogue pictures in there. Great idea.

All the ideas in this thread are wonderful.I'm going to have to try them.

• kab121170
    19 years ago

I use the pictures from seed catalogues and garden magazines to help me design new beds. I save pictures of flowers and combinations that I like and I can arrange the pictures together to see which combinations I like. I use these ideas as an inspiration for planting my perennials.

• Kathy Johnson
    19 years ago

I use mine as a reference guide. I also cut the pictures out & glue them into a book I keep of gardening notes along with the important informaion about the plant, growing requirements, etc.

• cantstopgardening
    19 years ago

I clipped a bunch to use at our 4-H club's rummage sale. We sell potted up perennials, as well as rummage The pictures really help shoppers make a decision for plants that are not in bloom.

• kublackbird
    19 years ago

I make envelopes out of the pages of mine. I got an envelope template at a craft store for about $3, but you could just take apart an old envelope of the sive you want and trace it. Then I use address labels or a black marker to address them. Friends have told me it's so much cheerier to get mail (especially at this time of year) in a pretty envelope covered with flowers.

• Chris_MI
    19 years ago

I have 2 garden journals. One is for the ever day writing, (planted peas today, don't ever get lilac salvia again!, use 8 bags of 12/12/12 for the way back trees, etc) the other binder contains maps of the flower beds, with detailed infor, latin & common name, and behind each map I get pictures from catalogs, plant tags, internet pictures, etc, so if I die or sell, the next people will have an idea what is planted where, and how to care for it.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES