Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelady777

I practically stole from Wal-Greens!

I was reading on this forum and wondered if any places here clearanced seeds out at the end of the season. I didn't think too much of it, then my daughter mentioned that she had just seen a seed display stand in Wal-Greens when she went there with daddy recently.

Okay, so I called to see if they still had seeds. I certainly wasn't thinking they'd be on sale, but I needed some things anyways and didn't want to wait for the mail when ordering them online or trading.

I got SO many things for just 12 cents per pack!!!! They're normally just 5 packets for $1.00, so that's not bad, either. I have a total of 41 packets (25 veggies/fruits and 16 flowers)! SO, I only spent $4.92 and have TONS of seeds! It's definitely enough for me and my sister's gardens for quite some time! :-)

On the veggies list, I got:

beefsteak tomato

alaska pea

detroit dark red beet

nantes coreless carrot

sweet basil herb

hales best cantaloupe

sugar baby watermelon

jack o' lantern pumpkin

dark green zucchini squash

early scarlet globe radish

straight eight cucumber

rutgers select tomato

early golden acre cabbage

grand rapids leaf lettuce

white lisbon bunching onion

califonia wonder pepper

tendergreen improved garden bean

giant noble spinach

table queen squash

moss curled parsley

early golden bantam sweet corn

snowball x cauliflower

On the flowers list, I got:

petite orange marigold

mixed colors crackerjack marigold

choice mixed colors morning glory

flower garden mix

mammoth russian sunflower

mixed colors single sensation cosmos

perennial mix

mixed colors tall deluxe snapdragon

rose queen cleome

lilliput zinnia

mixed colors tall double helichrysum

giants of california zinnia

mixed colors cyanus double bachelor button

mixed colors polka dot bachelor button

annual firmament forget-me-nots

Isn't that pretty incredible? I am SO excited! hee hee

I couldn't have gotten but one or two packets at most online for under $5, then I would have to add S&H, so for my first year, I am doing pretty good with the budget! I'm sure I'll want to do other things with more variety in the future, but for now, this will certainly work!

~Angela

Comments (12)

• freshair2townsquare
    15 years ago

I just ran a handful of errands that including Ace, Walgreens and WalMart and *none* of them had seeds. Pout, whine, stomp!

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Awwwwww! I am SO sorry!

You know, I do have to comment, though, that I nearly left the store after a lady pointed me to the right aisle and everything telling me that she was sure that they didn't have any left. The display, although packed with seeds, was very hard to locate and was rather small, in my opinion.

It's a pain in the butt, I know, but you might call different places before swinging in. If they hadn't told me on the phone that they still had seeds, I wouldn't have gone in and fought to find the stupid thing. LOL

~Angela

• jan1954
    15 years ago

thanks--our Wally world doesn't have a thing! and Lowe's doesn't have ANY seeds...so I will have to go to Walgreens:)

• tamrootbeer
    15 years ago

You may have to ask where they are. One of our stores still had the display out. 2 others had all their remaining packets in one basket on the floor level of a shelf.

The only things I wish I could have found were chives & onions & nasturtiums. And green beans. Other than that...I AM SET!

• jan1954
    15 years ago

if I see some chives, onions, and nasturtium would you like me to send them to u?

• michelle1977
    15 years ago

I found clearance bulbs at Big Lots and Kmart. I wasn't even looking for them but had to grab some. My walmart said that the co. they get their seeds from has them send them back at the end of the season.. not sure if that is ALL walmarts. Target has plenty of seeds.. but full price. Target is really good about having stuff on clearence.. so I keep checking there for gardening supplies, decor etc. I found little metal kids sets really cheap. There were little rubber lady bug boots for my girls for $3 a pr and little metal garden tools for them for $.75 cents each. I rarely see a cheap plant though.

• katydidd4365
    15 years ago

I went to Ace Hardware. They had a large selection of seeds @ 20 cents per pack. I picked up several annuals that I did not have.

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

I went to Walgreens the other day, and also found the .12 seeds. They were tucked into little baskets in the seasonal aisle, so I almost missed them, and they were marked .25, but rang up at .12. Not nearly the selection the OP got, but I did get some annuals, so I'll have something to grow in my yard next year, until I come across a good supply of perennials on the cheap.
    I also checked Lowe's. No seeds, but I did get 4 pots of annual stock for .10 ea. There was a whole rack of them. They did have aphids on them, but I looked and found 4 that weren't bad. I figure, there are already some aphids around the yard, a couple more aren't going to cause widespread havoc.

• piri
    15 years ago

Ha! I did it too! 19 packets at .12$
    Thanks for the head's up! Wish mine had a better selection of veggies.

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cool! I'm glad I could help! It's funny because I just today got more seeds from another Wal-Greens, but this time I got 'em for just 10 cents each. I was sitting on the floor in the clearance aisle sifting through every envelope this store had. I was amazed at how many varieties of veggies and flowers they still had. Of course, I did have to look through every single packet as their were a couple things that they ONLY had one packet left of.

Also, thanks to others for posting their deals. I'm gonna check out Ace Hardware and the clearance bulbs mentioned. I just love getting a good deal. And to the person commenting about perennials, I saw several packets of those at both Wal-Greens stores. The one here in Dallas and the one by my home that I shopped at originally when I posted this thread in Midland. We actually have two stores at home, so I'm going to check out the other one when I return!

~Angela

• indalyne
    15 years ago

I got a oscillating sprinkler yesterday for $.49 at CVS and they told me I could come back on Thursday and buy a pallet full of 40 lb bags of Humus for $.50/ea.

If you like bargains look at this site http://forums.slickdeals.net/forumdisplay.php?f=38

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

Oh my gosh. I know where I'm going as a reward for getting my work done this afternoon.
    kathy

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks