Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenny_3947

Dogs'and Cats' feces in garden

jenny_3947
15 years ago

Once a week armed with a rake and a shovel I collect the dog's feces in my backyard and use them where they dig [they are on their way to China] and along the chain link fence to prevent any escape or intrusion.

For the cats' I use them as a repellent for rodents after the majority of my bulbs disappear between December and when I was expecting to see them bloom, all the caladium, the tulips,

etc...Forget about the fake owls...I hope that will work as

I don't want to spend another small fortune re-establishing a bulb garden.

Any other "recycling" ideas ?

Comments (9)

• ilene_in_neok
    15 years ago

I don't see anything wrong with burying the feces in a flower garden, but I think there are some health issues, such as e.coli, to putting them in vegetable gardens. I think the argument is that pets' diets are closer to human's than to livestock. However, pets that are fed dry bagged food are eating mostly grain, which swings the pendulum the other way. Maybe it has something to do with their digestive systems and the enzymes that are present in some and not others.

I'm sure your garbage collectors thank you for not putting a bag of "doggie gifts" in the garbage. I would! After a few days, they are the stinkin'-est things you might find in garbage -- except for maybe meat and poultry bones and scraps -- which can also be buried in your flower beds if you can barricade them so that the pets or a wild critter cannot dig them up. --Ilene

• roseyp8255
    15 years ago

I too periodically do that with my doggie poop - mine too are trying to dig to china - perhaps they are communicating with your dogs?

I don't have a "choice" on where the cat goes - she runs this household, incuding the yard, and goes where she wants to. but, perhaps that is why i have not had as much problem with armadillos this year?!

• ilene_in_neok
    15 years ago

Oh, armadillos are real diggers! I understand they eat ants and at first thought they would be great in my yard because I have tons of ants. But the damage they would do would probably not be worth the benefit. Ants are a real annoyance to me. Nothing really works to eradicate them and you have to be so careful with what you put around plants that are producing something you're going to feed your family. It takes the enjoyment out of gardening to be swarmed. Before you know it, they're up into your hair and crawling around on your ears and on the lenses of your glasses. I just hate that.

I have a cat and I have tried several things to keep her out of my raised beds. Pine cones or trimmings off the grape vines work, but you've got to take them out before you till and that's kind of a pain. About the best thing I know of is to lay a wire stock panel down on the surface of the soil before you plant. There are other benefits, such as the fact that the squares mark off places to plant. The dog stays away from it, too. BUT, I have a nasty scar on my leg where I stepped on the edge of a brick that was holding down the cardboard between the raised beds, lost my balance and fell and scraped my leg on the way down, on the corner of the stock wire panel that was sticking out over the edge of the raised bed. I think next year I will trim the stock panel to fit INSIDE the raised beds, as you cannot step into the raised bed to pick or weed if it is just placed on the top of the wooden raised bed frame. --Ilene

• jenny_3947
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We live just NE of Dallas, in the small community of Princeton, where horses, goats and even cows are in the backyard of many houses.
    - regarding the garbage, I froze the food to be discarded and put it in the garbage the night before pickup
    - cat feces were double bagged before, now they go to the flower beds and mostly to where I had and intend to have more bulbs [they are on order]
    - The dogs feces go all along the fences and everywhere they dig, so after I plug the big holes, they don't dig again the fresh ground [During summer we had very very hard clay soil with crevasses where you can break your ankles]
    Whoa, it is a repeating chores and keep me off boredom in retirement's world
    Have a great and SAFE long Labor day week end.. I am waiting for "moo..re" rain

• pattyokie
    15 years ago

Hi, I just found this site. It is great. To introduce myself, I'm coming over from OKGardening. What I have done for years that my kids called "cheap" is now "Eco-friendly" so I am finally vindicated.
    My question is: Does burying the dog feces along the fence keep the dogs from digging there? There are 4 huge dogs in the yard behind my small suburban lot & they are trying to dig under the wooden privacy fence to get to my Yorkie. (He eggs them on, of course, by barking at them from our side of the fence like he's going to really beat them up) I asked the neighbors for help & they put bricks where the dogs had dug in one place but they just move to the next spot. They had a hole big enough to stick a big paw & snout thru before the bricks, tho. I'm scared for the next places they dig.

• jenny_3947
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dogs don't dig over their own poop. As we have 2 dogs, I have no way of knowing, so I double up along the fence for THEM not to dig. Alas, your problem is well known when homes are very close to one another. Your Dog's feces will not do anything, but along that fence you can put hot red pepper flakes, it will not stop them from barking, but it can stop them from pushing their nose under the fence...once the head pass......
    At my mailbox, i sprayed sulfur powder, which stop my neighbor's dog [Dogs will be dogs] from stopping there.
    And once while I was recuperating from surgery in a lounge chair in my backyard, I cured the neighbor's dog by hosing him everytine he came barking ....[I use a pretty forceful nozzle]..whoa after 5 or 6 spray, I was able to sleep!!!!
    Also if you are in your backyard you can use one of the inexpensive control for dog...it emits a sound which subdue them pretty fast...keep your Dog inside when you do that.
    Good luck

• gamekeeper
    15 years ago

My life has been breeding dogs and for the past twenty years I have composted all of the dog feces.We only have flowers shrubs and trees and they all thrive on the compost.We compost all other organic material as well.I take problem areas under trees or eroded areas and start a compost area we never use bins or any type container just on the ground,I add red wiggler worms to speed up the process.One real trouble area was all arid and erroded from a large maple that also was looking sickly .After a couple of years of composting the area I have turned it into a lovely shade garden and the sick maple looks as healthy as a teenager.

• jenny_3947
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The former owner had a little compost square at the corner of the house..close to the deck.!!.She had 5 dogs. Anyway when 7 months later I started gardening, there was no value in the compost, it was more of a weed breeding place [not like the compost I had in Florida w/ all the grass cuttings and rotten fruits [I had 75 citrus trees]So, here I compost on the spots...[No way I can carry bins]
    We had a machine to dig the holes in that clay, so I added a lot of peat moss+ Mulch, top it with multi layers of newspaper plus more mulch...same thing for the flowers' beds...the cheapest mulch is the best mulch, plus the adding of dog's and cat's...flowers and trees are doing well. [I use a LOT of plastic gloves] as I weed..and weed.

• west9491
    15 years ago

i heard that citrus peelings will keep cats out of stuff, they are supposed to hate the smell.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!