Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noamsmom

Pigeon droppings as fertilizer?

noamsmom
17 years ago

Until recently, we had a pretty serious pigeon problem at our house - the pigeons were using certain spots on the house as a public latrine. Now that we've finally (well, almost finally) ridded ourselves of the pigeons, we're left with large piles of...er, pigeon guano.

I know some people use chicken droppings as fertilizer, but has anyone had luck with using pigeon droppings?

Thanks!

Comments (22)

• numbersix

Didnt you watch House ?. They had a guy die because he was using pigeon crap to fertilize his plants.

• numbersix

Didnt you watch House ?. They had a guy die because he was using pigeon crap to fertilize his plants.

• numbersix

• numbersix

• rose__rosesforever
    17 years ago

I wouldn't recommend that at all. These birds can cause serious health problems. Never enter an attic full of droppings without protection: Full of bacteria and ticks.
    Over here they are a pest, we call them 'flying rats'.
    Their worst enemy is the raven: If you don't have a real one, a plastic bird will do. But it has to be in original size and look real, otherwise they won't be fooled.
    Also: Try to get raven 'noise' on tape and play it several times a day.
    Get rid of the droppings, but protect yourself.
    Rose

• rain1950
    17 years ago

NO, NO and NO!!

Pigeons are no more than rats with wings. They are known carriers of 26 human diseases, including hepatitis. We had a problem at work during construction and they got inside the building. The poop had to be handled as hazardous material.

• duker64us
    17 years ago

I have homeing pigons rolling pigeons that I take good care of. I recently read that the old egyptians use to use thier pet pigeon droppings as fertilizer. I use my pigeons poop as fertilizer on my garden and it works better than anything i have tried. I agree and think useing wild pigeon poop would be a hazzard.

• gardenfaerie
    17 years ago

I grew up with parakeets and while their droppings were small, I bet they'd make great fertilizer. I agree wild pigeons are another story, but I would guess droppings from any pet bird would work a treat! Also great in compost!

• stevenrterry_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

You people are rather wrong. I work near a pigeon breeding facility (they race them). I take their poo and mix it in our compost (leaves and grass clippings) every fall. I have done so for 10 years.

I must say that I have the healthiest garden and children in the suburbs. I did research on the desease factor and found nothing of consequence. 26 Human deseases? There is a gaurd against most deseases passing from one species to another. It is quite rare.

All this said, these pigeons are kept in a loft and do not forage in the wild.

My garden rocks because of this!

• mommymammal
    13 years ago

I am a veterinarian and can tell you that wild pigeons can carry zoonotic diseases (diseases that can be passed from animals to people), including serious ones such as Prototheca (a type of infectious algae for which there is no current effective treatment). I would look for fertilizer sources elsewhere.

• paulcraw_iinet_net_au
    13 years ago

Health risks from pigeon poop are often exaggerated. I have collected about a dozen 60 litre garbage bins full of pigeon poop annually from suburban "wild" nesting sites under bridges etc and used it on the vegetable and fruit garden for the past several years. It is great fertilizer and have had no ill health effects. Pigeons have historically been kept in the Middle East for the fertilizer they produce. The diseases are mainly ones caused from fungus or bacteria that are found in soils anyway. Driving your car is far more hazardous.

• sun622
    11 years ago

I've done it and it works. I don't breathe the dust. What about the seabird droppings?? I've seen them sold in bags on ebay.

• jonfrum
    11 years ago

Given that pigeons have been popular pets for many long years, with owners flying and racing them in many countries, it's hard to imagine that they would be a particularly dangerous animal to deal with. People keep whole flocks of them in cages on roofs and in sheds without dying. Here's a link to a New York City public health department below. There is a risk, but it' low. The particular warning is for people with compromised immune systems, which always makes sense.

Here is a link that might be useful: risk of disease from pigeons.

• tn_gardening
    11 years ago

I keep pigeons and their poop goes in to my compost pile every time I clean the coop...same for my chickens

• pigeonsonmeroof72
    8 years ago

I guess if you believe everything pest control companies would like you to believe because it profits them then believe but any bird, animal or any other kind of feces can cause health problems if you don't treat it like what it is ! I have had pigeons for well 40 plus years and have never been sick from them I've also never seen a tick on a pigeon or know or heard of anyone who has died from a pigeon specific disease. Your more likely to get sick from a dog or cat they have human compatible diseases and parasites. Pigeon fertilizer is high in nitrogen and not as acidic as chicken fertilizer works great in gardens and flowers I use it on mine. A few facts are pigeons the second domesticated animal first being the dog. They were used for one of the most reliable means of communications by the U.S military as well as others and were part of the army pigeon Corp until the 70s as well as other military countries more recently with many decorated pigeons like cher ami and G.I Joe. Anyway you can Google any of the things I've said here for more info and a lot more also the ARPU (American racing pigeon union ) has help and info if your looking for facts it's free not fear and driven by million$ and the only kind of _ _ _ _ I don't care for. Oh they are also in cities where there are large populations of people and pigeons ? Still no plague big shock

• dirtygardener73
    8 years ago

The difference here is between DOMESTICATED pigeons and WILD pigeons. Wild pigeons eat garbage and they wallow around in garbage. They have parasites and all sorts of nasty other things. Domesticated pigeons eat and live in much more sterile conditions, so their poop is much safer, although that depends on how well they are treated. My neighbor raised pigeons and doves for food and gave me all his poop. It's awesome stuff for potted plants. On the other hand, my other friend gave me chicken manure out of his commercial fryer houses and I felt in more danger using that than I did using the pigeon poop. We always spread it out and covered it with clear plastic to solarize it in the summer before we used it. If you've ever seen how tightly those chickens are packed into commercial fryer houses, you'll know why.

Anyway, I'm still here, so I guess it's not deadly. I've never had any of the diseases they say you can get from it, and I handled it without mask or gloves for many years. Maybe I'm just lucky.

• gnappi
    7 years ago

I LITERALLY grew up in and around pigeon coops. I was cleaning them and chucking bags of poop off the roof to be spread in our and neighbors gardens. Our produce (lettuce, tomatoes, cukes, figs) were the best I have had.

Their eggs are superb as is the meat.

• Jodi Swenson
    7 years ago

Pest control companies have really done a good job vilifying the pigeon.

ive been rescuing 300-350 wild birds a year for 10 yrs, and have yet to be sickened.

Its excellent fertilizer! Use common sense when handling it just like you would manure, and don't put it in your mouth, you will be fine!

if pigeons were as diseased as pest control companies like to claim they would have gone extinct long ago!

• William Macleod
    7 years ago

Amazed at the total ignorance of a lot of the posters, even the "vet". I'm a federally licensed wildlife rehabber in New York, am one of the top experts in pigeon biology and behavior in New York (I'm the guy to call when you have nuisance problem with them..) and deal with a lot of feral pigeons (as well as having many birds as "pets"). A simple search will show you that pigeons themselves carry almost no disease that can be transferred to humans. There ARE molds and bacteria that will grow on any "poop" left out to dry (the main reason there are "pooper-scooper" laws), so, yes, old piles of poop in an attic should be treated with care. But the number of actual zoonotic diseases from even feral pigeons pales when compared to domestic dogs and cats, yet no one sees an issue having a strange dog lick their face. Pigeon droppings have been used as fertilizer for thousands of years (the pigeon has been domesticated for about 13,000 years..), and fresh poop poses no threat, period. Mommymammal should do a quick search of Prototheca to see where it actually comes from.

• Oh It s on the wrong side
    3 years ago

Hi, I would like to ask those people who used pigeon droppings as fertilizer, how do you specifically make it into fertilizer. I know it can be dried or put into compost but what are the exact measurements if you use any of those methods? Like how long does it take for it to be ready after being sun dried? I really need help T^T

• Grace Lochness
    2 years ago

@foolishpleasure this is rhe greatest story of all time, please pitch it to hollywood

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!