Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where to find braided wire saw in bulk

Posted by jamboo 8 (jamesphillips@hotmail.com) on
Mon, Sep 21, 09 at 9:06

there seems to be a wide fund of deep knowledge in this group so I'll give a shout out for some help here.

I want to be frugle in buying a tool I use in gardening.

I have found 8 strand stainless steel wires braided around one abrasive or serrated wire. Almost too tiny to see. Perfect for pruning in tight places. It is sold as survival saw, or to hunters for cutting pelvic bone. It is not a PVC or cable saw, not coated with carbide, not a pocket chain saw.

Can't find any resource but those already packaged up. From $5-10 ea. most prominently marketed as "commando saw" http://www.bcbsurvivalusa.com/xcart/catalog/NEW-BCB-Commando-Wire-Saw-p-16157.html
or --"zip saw" by New Archery Products"--.
They have them in army surplus, camping supply etc.

problem is, and I want more, cheaper. I will be making them up in various shorter lengths because with all the bends it has to make to get through a tight clump of stalks, where you can't get hand pruners, the 18 and 24 inch wire isn't selective enough to cut just the stalks I want to cut.

I want to be able to make up different lengths of it off a spool of the stuff.

would be very appreciative of any suggestions for locating this stuff wholesale.

Thanks
Jim Phillips
Austin Texas
512 633 2568

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where to find braided wire saw in bulk

• Posted by pris 8B TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 11, 09 at 12:08

No one seems to have the answer so let's move this on down.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here