Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
florrie2

Freecycle

florrie2
15 years ago

There have been a number of postings on freecycle. My husband is suspicious, and thinks that people will case your house for goodies while picking up your stuff.

What do y'all think?

Florrie

Comments (13)

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

This is not my opinion at all, BUT I wouldn't put my address out in a post for everyone, just to who I choose to give my stuff to, like the first person to respond who wants the item or items. I wouldn't be too paranoid about it. The kind of people who would case your home for things they want to take (without asking), might do it anyways without a post at Freecycle... know what I mean? LOL

.....Now, I realize you might be talking about things INSIDE your home... If that's the case, you don't have to let them in your home. Many people leave the item on the front porch for pick up or in their garage and just open the garage door when the person comes to pick it up.

~Angela

• greenmulberry
    15 years ago

I don't let people in my house to pick things up. I usually meet them outside and hand them the stuff.

I also don't give my address until I have chosen a person and they have confirmed they can come get it at a certain time.

• mikeandbarb
    15 years ago

I don't like the thought of having strangers coming over to my home. You don't know who means good and who is out casing the neighborhood.

I donate all my items to the kidney foundation. There are other foundations to donate too if you have things to give away.

I am also weary of picking up something fearing a sick-o is up to no good. I have picked items up but only with my husband with me. Never alone.

• gatormomx2
    15 years ago

You can never be too cautious these days . I have used Freecycle with great success getting rid of large items .
    The screening process is good . You can always leave items or meet in a neutral spot such as a street corner or somewhere open and well travelled . No one has to actually come to your house or know where you live . It's up to you how much info you release .
    And as you stated , I met potential Freecycle customers with at least one or more people with me . Big barking dogs in plain sight didn't hurt either !

• sylviatexas1
    15 years ago

Our local freecycle recently had to post a "reminder" to people that "porch pick-up" doesn't mean you can pick up *everything* on someone's porch!

so I'd be careful if I had anything else on my porch!

• cynthia_h
    15 years ago

I've been very active in FreeCycle for a couple of years, both on the giving and receiving ends. First of all, be sure that you're dealing with "the real thing": www.freecycle.org -- because there's a knock-off .com group that I know nothing about.

I give items by leaving them on my front porch (protected from street view and up 11 steps) or behind the house (on a bench; we have no fence). I put a Post-It with the person's given name on the bag/box/object.

No one has taken anything that wasn't authorized. I have met very few people face-to-face, whether as a donor or recipient.

When I pick items up, I usually pick them up from someone else's steps or porch or bushes. It depends on what they've specified. They usually put my name on it.

And I live in the Bay Area, very near Berkeley, where many "odd ducks" live. I haven't experienced or (to my knowledge) created any FreeCycle problems.

I only give my house address to a selected recipient and I almost never give my phone number. I have been given many others' phone numbers, but tend not to call unless there's a logistical question relating to time of pick-up or something.

With over 400 groups and 4 million people worldwide (as of August 2007), it must be working for a lot of us.

Try it with a couple of low-value items first. Do NOT tell recipients whether you'll be home or not. Do NOT tell your neighbors that you're "FreeCycling" something.

DH and I have also just wanted to give stuff way without doing the FreeCycle thing and have put them out by the sidewalk with the "FREE" sign. They've all disappeared, with no unfortunate side effects: my roses were unmolested, etc.

in el cerrito

• whtros
    15 years ago

I ditto everything cynthia_h has said. I have been doing Freecycle for at least 3 years. I've been very happy with everyone whom I've dealt with. My only complaint has been with people who don't email a Thank-You after they pick of their things and the Free portable Dishwasher cost me the price of an exterminator b/c it had Roaches. Otherwise, I'm grateful for it.

Everyone, including myself, put things on the porch, behind a bush, or something similar. I rarely see the people I'm giving to or picking up from. I've tried meeting people somewhere "neutral" but they either don't show up or are late and waste my time.

I put about a dozen bicycle tires in a box with a Free sign on the curb one summer and had fun watching all the neighborhood boys going thru them and picking out what they wanted.

Freecycle is a great for everybody. I used to donate to Salvation Army and GoodWill but they charge too much for what they sell.

Sooooo...
    I hope more of you give it a try, using reasonable precautions. Best Wishes, Barbara.

• beachbarbie
    15 years ago

I have never had a problem on Freecycle. Other than people who say they want an item, then don't show up. That's more annoying then "bad" though.
    The moderators also are very receptive when there's a problem. It's not like a free-for-all. They do contact people if there are complaints about them and they do kick people off if they aren't acting in the spirit of the site.
    Barb

• silversword
    15 years ago

I love Freecycle, never had any issues. Most of the time, people who take the time to free/recycle are not going to waste time ripping you off or molesting you. Why not just go to a bar, or case a house in their neighborhood? The process of ripping someone off would take way too long on Freecycle and too much energy, and may not net you anything, and leaves a trail.

But I had the same thought as you. And with Craigslist. I've come to the conclusion that it's not much of a risk. Although I do not put my address, or my phone number out there usually.

I did get one weird response once. A man wanted something I had, but I had already promised it to someone else. I emailed him back to tell him so. He emailed me, and said that I didn't put my address. I emailed back, said I only give my address to the people actually coming out to get it, and it's gone, so thanks for your interest. Then I got another email saying "well, I hope if you call an ambulance you give them better directions than near such and such off ramp". I didn't respond. Weirdo!

• gardengoodies
    15 years ago

I've only been Freecycling a few months, but I absolutely love it. I leave most of my items on the front porch too. I only had one incident recently where the person got the wrong item, but it was no problem getting it back. I've gotten garden books, cook books, propogation mats, tools and plants. I've given away things including volunteer tomato plants that I "potted" in cups. I think it's great.

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden blog

• sunnny
    15 years ago

I've been using Free Cycle for a year and have nothing but GREAT things to say about it. I've given several things away such as clothes, books, a sand box, old bikes, etc. and have gotten loads of HORSE MANURE, flower cluttings and lots of newspapers for my lasanga beds and have never had any problems.
    I think if you use good judgment when dealing with people it's a wonderful place.
    Sunny

• rosebush
    15 years ago

I've been offering and receiving via Freecycle for several years now and have met some great new friends. It's important, as others have stated, to initially meet in a location that is safe, such as a public place, and perhaps bring a friend or spouse. A phone call can sometimes weed out anyone you don't feel comfortable with. With gardeners I have often experienced instant rapport, and have given and received many plants over the years.

• junkyardgirl
    15 years ago

My rule is never let anyone inside your house. I heard of one person who had one man come with his son, and the son wanted to use the restroom. They came back later and robbed her. When she thought about it, she remembered him making small talk, asking her where she worked, etc., and remembered the kid looking around the house when she was showing him where the rest room was.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional