Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gaijingirl

BIG pots/containers

gaijingirl
15 years ago

Does anyone have any ideas about what I could use for a nice big pot/container that would be cheap? I have 5 shrubs that were given to me recently, that I want to stick in them...probably temporarily until next year when I am able to have an area clear to plant them. I need something fairly large

...and it's got to be as non-tacky looking as possible...our HOA is really strict. *Technically* we aren't even supposed to use plastic pots...although we can if they a neutral color...but are basically supposed to make them look as much like stone or ceramic as possible. (It's not too big of a deal to me, but I've already done lots of other things to break the rules, like building stone walls and flowerbeds without asking, so I'm trying to be a bit careful so they don't come after me for it!)

Thanks in advance! Any ideas would be helpful. I've got to get these plants settled as soon as I can!

Comments (15)

• gatormomx2
    15 years ago

I used the large plastic tubs that trees come in from nurseries . Then surrounded them with stacking bricks or stones . You would never know there was a black plastic tub under it all .
    These very large containers can be found at any plant nursery . They might charge you but it's worth it . After over wintering your shrubs , you can use the containers as planters .

• ladycraft
    15 years ago

You can always wrap something around the plastic or spray paint it. It's expensive but you can get texture apray paint and plastic looks great. I have also decorated with hot glue (big globs in a repeat pattern)and then spray to dress up plastic containers.

• idig
    15 years ago

I came across this the other day and plant to give it a try. You could use a huge nursery pot or even a garbage can for a mold.

Here is a link that might be useful: hgtv planter

• gamekeeper
    15 years ago

The best thing to do is stop procrastinating and do what clearing needs doing which probably is not as much as it seems.Then place them in their permanent home, they will be ready to go come spring not in Limbo.
    Peter

• ladycraft
    15 years ago

idig, I have made some of those Hyperturfa pots and they are neat. Check out the Hyperturfta site. Kathy

• greeness
    15 years ago

Ah, the joys of homeowners' associations! When I owned a condo, I once opened my front door to find an HOA Board member measuring the pots in the alcove next to my door. Get a life people. There must be more pressing issues....

Anyway,I would suggest browsing some crafts magazines. Someone mentioned hot glue; maybe you could apply some type of covering that would disguise the plastic? I have some plastic pots that do resemble stone or cement in their coloration and texture. If these ideas aren't feasible, I agree that it's best to plant the trees, provided your HOA doesn't have rules against that, too.

It's easy to "dis" the HOA, but they may be able to levy fines against non-conformers so be careful.

• aliceinvirginia
    15 years ago

It's not just the HOA's. I live in an apartment in a so-so neighborhood. There is some crime in the complex, but the owners appear to be keeping up with the appearance of the place with some landscaping.

So I got a notice last Friday that was addressed to all residents with: a) clean up after your pets, b) don't have anything but white curtains on your windows c) do not have anything on your balcony that rises above your railing.

I have some tomato plants that I thought would be dwarf varieties. Despite being crammed with too many in a container, they've reached 6 feet.

I did buy this arch trellis that was probably 8 feet tall. And the supports holding up the eggplant and the other tomato aren't that pretty either.

But I imagine the pile of 5 gallon buckets that I was turning into self-watering containers was probably the objection. When I put those out for real, I'm going to use colored tape so that they are striped. I heard paint doesn't work on those.

Maybe that is another option.

If you are putting these someplace that is sheltered from the rain, you might also try baskets.

• janet1_2007
    15 years ago

I was reading about a plastic pot trick the other day that I am considering. Buy the black foam plumbing insulators and cut them to the measurements of the pot circumference. They already have one slit along the length to fit over the pipe. Use this slit to fit over the edge of the pot to make the edge thicker. Then use some of the new hammered metal paints to paint them. It sounded really easy to me. I would be interested in any other thrifty ideas for potted plants. Janet

• diane_v_44
    15 years ago

I love that planter idea to make

Will try it for sure

• billie_ladybug
    15 years ago

Walmart has put all their faux terra cotta (plastic look alikes) on clearance. But I have to agree with a previous post, just get them planted, it will be much easier and you don't run any risks: losing them, HOA or not being able to plant them in the spring for other reasons.

Billie

• alexis717_df
    15 years ago

If you have to keep them in pots you might consider the spray paint idea. Rust-o-leum (spelling) makes a spray paint that when sprayed on resembles gray stone or if you prefer brown stone. I've used it many times and it works really well. Just rough up (wire brush/sand paper) the plastic pot and spray away. Takes only minutes and makes a huge difference.

However I do agreed that if at all possible put them in the ground. Even a temporary planting in the ground is better than in the pot. In fact I have a nursery in my backyard where I plant things I was unable to get in the ground before winter. This year my nursery has 3 shrubs, one tree and half dozen perenials, all waiting for permanent homes next year.

Alexis

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

You might also ask on freecycle or craigslist. I received huge tree pots this way. I also agree if possible plant them somewhere. I moved late last Sept and wanted my rose bushes. My husband dug one big hole and planted the roses and mulched heavily. They all overwintered wonderfully and I put them in permanent homes this year.

• midwesternerr
    15 years ago

HOAs seem like something Hitler would've come up with. What's next, they will make rules on what color of people can live in a complex?

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    15 years ago

I am also a victim of the dreaded HOA. I like this thread because I am allowed to containerize, but NOT plant in ground anything that isn't approved, and I do like the garbage can idea.

This is a nice video on DYI network. I was hoping to find something like this for our new dwarf container trees: Avocado, Guava, Fig, and Pomegranite and also our limes and lemons and maybe grapefruit / oranges. This way we can go away for a few days and not worry. http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-a-self-watering-container

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Thanks idig and ladycraft! I'd never heard of making those kind of pots yourself. They're pretty amazing. I've been caught up for over an hour just reading about them, learning how to do it, and looking through pics of what other people have created. Pretty darn awesome!

Blessings,
    Angela

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County