Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladycraft

Caladuims

ladycraft
15 years ago

What do I need to do to save them for next yr. I've read that they don't do very well the second year. But they have to get started somehow. I don't want to have to buy all new ones next year. Thanks

Comments (10)

• sherryocala
    15 years ago

Where are you? In zone 9 we just leave them in the ground. They get bigger and spread here. Very reliable. I don't even fertilize them.

Sherry

• ladycraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry I'm in zone 6. Thought about that when I was trying to go to sleep last night.

• gamekeeper
    15 years ago

Last year I had no luck with the bulbs I wintered over.Everybody said it was easy just dry them out after digging them up put in a box or bag keep in a cool dry place which I did and not one grew this year.
    Peter

• daylilydayzed
    15 years ago

Pot them up and keep inside in a cool place, watering once in a while.

• simplycharming
    15 years ago

DAYLILYDAYZED..
    help me...is that with light or in a dark cool place...
    I have tried to overwinter these without any luck also...
    I would love to figure this one out so I don't have to buy more next year...thanks

• ladycraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will try potting some of them. I hate to buy more next year but really enjoy them. I bought a bunch of the root/tubor pkts for Home Depot and the caladuims are the only ones that grew. Kind of discouraged with that deal. So it isn't just spending the money. Its wasting the money.

• dorisl
    15 years ago

those were a waste for me also this year, bought a pack of 5 from wally world and none of those grew and got 5 in trade and they didnt even come up until AUGUST, geesh.

I loves me the pink leaves, but those are too fussy for me.

:)

• gamekeeper
    15 years ago

Had no luck with the tubers I got at Wal-mart will stick with the catalog next tear.The only ones that came up were Cana and they all had the Cana Virus.

• whtros
    15 years ago

Caladiums need warmth to grow. I never put mine outside until they have started to grow and the nite temps are consistently over 60-65° F. I have been successful keeping mine from year to year for the last 20 years or so. I have them in pots b/c I would never get them out or bring them in successfully if I had to dig them up and replant in the Spring. Don't forget, it takes ground temps longer to warm up than the air.

In the fall, I bring the pots inside when the leaves start to die off. They can withstand a light frost but not a hard freeze. When I bring them in, I cut off the scraggly tops and store the pots (with the caladium bulbs still planted in them) under tables, chairs, shelves or any out of the way place where I can forget them all winter. Once I bring them in I never water them until their little "heads" show up in the Springs. That's the key - if you water them in the winter, they'll rot. I pull them out from their hiding places and put somewhere near the patio doors in the basement or shop lights so they get some light. I put them outside when the nites are reliably over 60-65° F. Here in zone 5, that is around late May depending on the weather. I also do this with pots of Elephant Ears so I have to really look for places to hide all the pots.

If you notice, the garden centers never put theirs out until early June around here. With my experience in mind, I hope you try them again. Best Wishes, Barbara.

• ladycraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the information. I'm going to pot them and hopefully keep them going that way. Same way with the elephant ears. The heck with planting in the ground. I live in S. MO where we grow rocks so it isn't worth the fight. Can you tell I'm getting older and lazier? Pots will work great as long as I can find a hiding place. May just move the beds out of the spare bedroom and tell everybody that they have to plan their visits around that!

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012