Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amelia_pepper_lady

This is the forum that started it.....

amelia_pepper_lady
15 years ago

Since this is the forum that started my latest obsession, I will make a plea here....

I have become enthralled by the book, The After-Dinner Gardening Book. I am looking for seeds from fruit purchased at the grocery store or fruit market. We donÂt have a good variety of fruits available in our local stores.

If you eat any of the following, I would be happy to send a SASBE for the seeds or we could work out a trade.

Litchi, mangosteen, mamoncillo, star fruit, dates (unsulfured), sapodilla, malanga, dragon fruit, sapote, or any other unusual fruits.

I would really, really like to find a "large, mature" coconut still in the husk. (As my friend says, not a hairy coconut.)

Comments (13)

• flora_uk
    15 years ago

You can grow dates even from the dried type. I have had them sprout in the compost heap and they are quite easy to grow in a plastic bag of compost put in a warm place.

• siris
    15 years ago

Not really sure on some of them, but can say what I know.

Dragonfruit/starfruit- Not a regular occurance at the market. I bought one, after eating it, went "wonder if one would grow". 4 months later, it reappeared at grocery store. So that would need constant checking to find

Litchi- Not really sure about it, but I read that seeds tend to need a very fast planting time after coming out of the fruit. If it is true, someone shipping a seed might fail. Anyone who can correct/confirm that, I'd appreicate it much.

I currently try to grow all 3, and saying they're slow would be an understatement. Nethertheless, I found one of the best place for exotic seeds to be asian markets. Some tend to be fairly cheap with fruit/vegetables. If you can find any ethnic market, you may want to do a quick visit and cross your fingers. You might find something new.

• corar4gw
    15 years ago

Pepper lady, I have a "baby dragon" fruit about 8" tall that I can send if you've not yet acquired one. Email me at corar1020@aol.com with your address if you'd it.
    cora

• midwesternerr
    15 years ago

There might still be pawpaws or persimmons growing wild in your area. If so pick some and if they taste good, plant the seeds outside in a bucket or something.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    15 years ago

Well, this dude has patented an avocado tree that he started from a Haas seed from the grocery store: http://www.avocadotrees.com/discover.htm
    It can be done and good luck to all of us!!

• junkyardgirl
    15 years ago

I have starfruit seeds, but I've never gotten one to sprout. Starfruit barely have any seeds. In fact, if you're lucky, you'll get 2-3 mature seeds from one. I did not even get ONE seed out of all the starfruit from my tree this summer, but now I've gotten a few. If I can get any to grow, you can have one.

• amelia_pepper_lady
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You are very generous. I would love one if you have extras.

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

I hear store-bought peaches do well home grown. I am going to give it a whirl. I, too, would love to have all kinds of fruit, ordinary and unusual. I just don't want to plant store-bought fruit seeds to find out the fruit from the plant years later is far from the tasty fruit I bought. I'm okay with a variance, but just don't want crap. LOL

Blessings,
    Angela

• gatormomx2
    15 years ago

Try Apricots .
    My brother in Dallas has a magnificent tree grown from seed .
    If you are concerned with fruit quality and want to save time ,
    it is worth buying a small tree from a reputable nursery .

• amelia_pepper_lady
    Original Author
    15 years ago

If you are really wanting to grow fruit, you would probably do best buying small trees from a nursery. Many of the fruit trees are grafted.

I am interested in the plants and always get a thrill from starting something from seed. If I end up with good fruit, that is just a bonus.

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

amelia.....I too get a thrill from starting something from seed and if it reproduces even better. I had the good fortune to have a fellow GW'er (thanks gary) give me some starfruit which I saved some seed from and was able to start a few plants from. Also my neighbor and I shared a pitaya( Red Dragon Fruit)the other day and I saved a slice for the seeds. And I have in my seed stash some Carica Papaya seed(10 seeds). Are you still looking for these seeds? Send me an e-mail if still interested.

Regina

• debbiep_gw
    15 years ago

Hi,I have fresh kumquat seeds plus strawberry papaya and probably can find you a few other seeds as well.Like you I live in a area that tropical fruits don't make it to the store and depend mostly on trades of unusual tropical type fruit seeds from traders.Send me a e-mail and you can send postage if you like..Debbie

• marcejen
    15 years ago

I have 2 avocadoes started from pit..I start them on water until the roots are strong enough then I put them in a pot in a mixure of 1/3 vermiculte 1/3 peat moss and 1/3 soil.
    Last year I bought 3 kiwis plants from a nursery [for pollination]...they never do anything. So my question is "Do any of you have grown kiwis from seeds -fresh fruit-"?
    Have a great Thanksgiving

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH