Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenbug_gw

Free sawdust,manure?

greenbug
15 years ago

Hi,

Does anyone know how to get free sawdust or manure delivered?

I have read that many gardeners use sawdust instead of mulch as a frugal way to mulch their flower beds.

I know there are many tree removal services who will deliver wood chips for free but those are really tough to decompose so I am looking for saw dust but not quite sure what kind of businesses might have it in bulk and would like to get rid of it for free.

Comments (6)

• gardengoodies
    15 years ago

Hi:

I looked up a carpentry school in my area and called the instructor and explained that I was composting and wanted to try saw dust as a brown ingredient. I brought a construction bag over to the school, came back a couple days later and picked it up. I just have a little city lot, so I'm still on that one bag. I forgot to ask, but I doubt that a school that's teaching would be using expensive pressure treated wood. That's an option for you, although I doubt they'll deliver.

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden blog

• leubafr
    15 years ago

If you want sawdust with manure, you can go to any local horse stable and they usually have a pile that can be just loaded and taken home. Just ask someone on the premises. I go and get it by the 5 gallon bucket but I would also put it in a sack, etc. or just lay a plastic cover down in the back of a pick up and pile it in. It is usually well decomposed and just right for planting or etc. I used it exclusively in my tomatoe garden a few years back. Abundant crop ! ! !

• rosebush
    15 years ago

Check on Freecycle. I just picked up three HUGE bags of wood shavings, mostly cedar, from someone who posted there. I also get composted horse manure from another Freecycler who has an equestrian center. Sometimes Craigslist has Free offers like this too.

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

Graigslist often has free offers for manure from horse barns....you just have to go pick it up. Take a five gallon bucket and put a plastic bag in it fill that up and tie it off. Usually that is heavy enough and wont tear the bags or hurt your back :)

• sunnny
    15 years ago

I love Free Cycle. I haven't asked about having anything delivered but I've gotten 5 truck loads of horse manure so far and built all of my beds with it. If you google it you can find one for your area.
    I also have traded things for plants such as a childs sand box I didn't need anymore. The lady let me have TONS of clippings and cutting in exchange.
    Sunny

• gardengoodies
    15 years ago

5 truck loads of horse manure would bury my little space. I guess it's a good thing I don't have that kind of space because I'd never get any work done.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH