Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebonnett_gw

I was going to throw it out...but then

bluebonnett
19 years ago

I was cleaning up some stuff around my computer and was going to throw out a little file box for floppy's then I took a second look. Plastic , black bottom , with a clear cover that is easy to open and close. I put four small containers with cuttings in it and it makes a dandy mini-greenhouse. Keeps humitiy in, lets in light. What were you going to throw out in the name of good housekeeping and found a good use for it?

Comments (8)

• zooter
    19 years ago

Hey there!
    I started keeping my little spice jars for holding seeds....I threw away countless until I started gardening. Now I have a sizeable collection :)

• faltered
    19 years ago

Envelopes from credit card offers. I kept throwing these out until I started seed collecting. They come in hand to take out to the garden with me. I can write the name of the seed on the blank side of the envelope and gather the seeds in them.

If I'm really hurting for seed storage, I've cut some of those envelopes in twos or threes to make seed packets. Just tape up the cut side. It even has the glue strip at the top to seal it closed.

Here is a link that might be useful: My website

• kaybradj
    19 years ago

Credit card offers make me crazy. I fold up all the crap they sent me, stuff it in the postage paid envelope and send it straight back to them. Using them as seed packets is a great idea but I'm not sure I'd get the same sense of satisfaction.

• bruggirl
    19 years ago

I've seen people make seed envelopes out of cut up magazine pages.

I use the coin envelopes for trading. You can buy them cheap at anyplace like Staples or Office Depot. To gather seeds, I keep them whole, but I cut them in half to send seeds.

The cool thing about them, is that you can write the name on the top, then if you use all those seeds, just scratch out the name and put another one. I've still got envelopes left from my first box, and I'm working on my second.

• dawnstorm
    19 years ago

I use the sample cards as bookmarks. :)

• Mvespa
    19 years ago

My husband eats tons of Tic Tacs, the empty containers make great seed storage containers.

The long slim plastic bags that the newspaper comes in makes a great hand cover (glove) for picking up doggie poop around the yard.

Used pots that plants come in when you buy them make great seed starting pots or pots to send plants to traders in the mail.

• kab121170
    19 years ago

I LOVE the idea of sending the junk mail back to the senders. What a fabulous idea!

• cantstopgardening
    19 years ago

I scrounged an old packing crate from the compost station, intending to use it for something, but decided against that. Well, the bottom of the crate was essentially a pallet, with very tight spacing of the boards. I almost took it back to the compost station to be shredded, but then realized it could be cut into squares, painted with some old brown paint from another project, and used as 'stepping stones' in my perennial border.

The border is next to my split rail fence, which is next to my dear neighbor's hedge. He has my permission (and blessing,) to step into my perennial border while trimming his hedges. These 'pavers' should give him confidence that he's not stepping on any plants. And the rough surface of the wood should provide a bit of a non-slip surface. Painting will be a trick though. I think I'm going to just wipe the paint on like a stain with a rag, just enough to darken the wood so it blends in, not enough to make the surface slick. Maybe I'll mix some sand into the paint as well. I could stain them, but then I'd have to spend money on stain, and I already have the paint just sitting around ;-)