Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenguru66

Where Can I Get Cheap Yet Quality Heirloom Seeds?

gardenguru66
15 years ago

Does any one know where I can get a good deal on some heirloom veggie seeds?

Comments (14)

• chrisperry
    15 years ago

I just ordered some cheap heirloom and Open pollinated seeds. The name of the co. where I ordered them is heirloomveggieseeds.com I got 100 vegetables seed packets for $49 but if you are looking for pretty packaging this would not be the place to get them because their packaging is plain but for the price you can't beat it. They also don't let you pick which vegetables go into the mix but I was pleasantly surprised that it contained almost every vegetable seed you could think of. Before I found this place I used to order my seed from seedsofchange.com but their seed is not cheap. I have also gotten some decent deals on ebay.com Goodluck!

• gardenguru66
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks chrisperry. I just ordered the 100 pk. online. Thanks for the tip.

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

That's a great place! Wish they mailed to Canada. :-(

• pic_it_up2005
    15 years ago

I would use ebay! I even sell some seeds on ebay to help afford other gardening things I want.

• jessicavanderhoff
    15 years ago

The below link has pretty good prices and megacheap shipping.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Kingdom

• novelist
    14 years ago

I know this is a bit old, but I'll put my tip here regardless. Last fall, our community had an heirloom tomato festival. It cost $10 to get in, but there were free tastings of the most amazing tomatoes. Also, vendors sold varieties I had never seen before, usually offering a sample first. My wife and I tasted, then bought several tomatoes that we loved. I did seed saving on them, and my entire crop of 100 vines this year will be from that festival. I even have plenty of seeds left over if I want to use them next year.

• megmaine
    14 years ago

Fedco Seeds! www.fedcoseeds.com
    Fedco sells only non-GM seeds, and has loads of heirloom and open-pollinated varieties, and as they are a co-op and not a for-profit business, the prices are low. They also sell seeds you may have a hard time finding elsewhere, as endangered varieties.

I'm lucky to live in Maine where Fedco is located, but they will ship anywhere, and you can browse the catalog online as well as do interactive searches online, and you can order online. Johnny's is good too, but Fedco is my first choice for non-GM, open-pollinated, heirloom, seed-saving seed, and for the promotion of the "self-sufficiency" and "local, not Biotech-giant" based lifestyle. Fedco does not do business with any biotech conglomerates, even when it means it cannot offer a popular variety.

• petunialover
    14 years ago

I get mine here:
    good customer service, lots of quality seeds, low shipping

Here is a link that might be useful: heirloom seeds

• kelleysgarden
    14 years ago

Great sites. I get my Heirloom seeds from Backyard Heirloom Seeds & Herbs.

They sell in sets also and sell Culinary and Medicinal seed sets.

They also include unusual/ rare heirloom varieties in their veggie sets like Romanesco Broccoli-it's really fun. Hope this helps.

http://www.backyardheirloomseeds.net

Here is a link that might be useful: Backyard Heirloom Seeds

• catholicrose85
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Seedsnow has 99 cent packets and they frequently have sales and coupon codes (like $15 off $30 purchase or 35% off or free shipping). They have a nice selection of unique varieties or herbs, veggies, and sprouts. The seeds have all germinated well and grown good plants for me so far.

http://www.seedsnow.com/?rfsn=88623.3c585

• livis11
    7 years ago

I highly recommend Rare Seeds, they have a wide supply of exclusively heirloom seeds with cheap flat rate shipping and free seeds with every order. You can also sign up for a free seed catalog which is in full color and excellent to flip through. This will be my second year buying from them and I have been really impressed with the quality and germination rate of their seeds.

They also allow users to leave reviews of the seeds which is really helpful in helping you determine how well the seeds will perform in your climate.

• Annie (Georgia / USDA Hardiness Zone 8A)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

While the quality is not guaranteed, you can get seeds from other
    Gardenweb members. Most of the activity is trade, you give seeds to get
    seeds but there are members who will send you seeds for SASE (a
    self-addressed stamped envelope).

Here is the link to the Seeds Exchange topic: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/the-seed-exchange

• drewj4life
    6 years ago

An awesome new online seed company 99 Heirlooms: https://99heirlooms.com - great variety non-GMO heirlooms only 99¢! Plus they come in this nifty storage vial!

• iml1
    3 years ago

MIgardener, 99 cents heirloom seeds, great service and low shipping charges,

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler