Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mpmg46

Help with splitting plants??

mpmg46
15 years ago

I'm not sure that this is the proper forum, but I'm looking to split some of my perennials and have heard that fall is the right time to do it. I don't want to spend money purchasing more plants when I have so many here already. Is there a certain technique to it? Any and all guidance (or if this forum is not best suited for my question) is appreciated!

Thank you!

Comments (5)

• gatormomx2
    15 years ago

Carefully dig up whatever it is you are trying to divide . If possible , try not to damage the roots .
    Put the plant on the ground and carefully pry apart the bulbs/corms/rhizomes or roots of the plant . Some times it is necessary to use a knife or shovel or even a saw to break up some plants .
    Replant the pieces at the same depth as the parent plant . Do not plant too deeply . Do not fertilize until Spring .

• sunshineboy
    15 years ago

Dividing plants is really an easy way to multiply your number of plants. I recommend getting a flat edged sharpened shovel with a long handle for leverage. I also recommend getting a pile of compost.

Some plants divide well, and others not so well. First question is what are you hoping to divide?

If it is a plant that divides well in the fall, take the shovel and place it over the plant so that it will bisect the plant (cut in half). Then step with force to cut the plant. Then remove the shovel and cut around the perimeter of the plant. Lift out half of the plant. If it is still bigger than desired, divide again. Then place in a hole prepared with some nice compost and water well.

With the remaining half in hole, either add compost and water well, or lift out if you want to reorient the front of the plant and then back fill with compost and soil.

Its very easy to divide plants, as long as you know the best time of year for each plant. List some plants you want to divide and we can post back as to best time of year...

sunshineboy

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Can you divide a papaya tree sapling that looks like it has four trunks into 2 plants or even four plants? I definitely do not want to kill this tree! Any help you know for sure works is greatly appreciated.

Blessings,
    Angela

• junkyardgirl
    15 years ago

Angela,
    Papayas sometimes need a male and female plant, depending on the variety. That's why they come with 3-5 stalks. If not, you may not get fruit.

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Thanks, JunkYardGirl. Do you think it's a problem if they're planted so closely that I thought it was one plant? (LOL) Now, that I realize it's four plants, I would figure their trunks are too close. I haven't done anything with it yet, but it's needing repotted badly, so I am hoping to figure this out soon. Thanks again for the help!

Blessings,
    Angela

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus