Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
casey0476

Question about mosquitoes

casey0476
15 years ago

I am writing this for my mother.she still has late tomatos and some other vegtables in her garden but, she said the mosquitoes are unbearable now when she goes to pick and it is anytime of day.Is there anything she can do to keep them away from garden?Any advice would be helpful.thanks

Comments (9)

• derelictgardener
    15 years ago

Natural mosquito repellents such as MARIGOLDS and potted ROSEMARY work wonders for driving these pests away but make sure you rid yourself of any standing water. drain old tires, pots, even things as small as a coke can. standing stagnant water acts like a cheap hotel, birdbaths become breeding central so make sure you flush them out and change their water often.

Mihai

• pseudacris_crucifer
    15 years ago

Mosquitoes are drawn to body heat and the carbon dioxide that you exhale. They know that means food. In my experience, if they detect either of those, then they will brave chemical repellants, marigolds, or any other impediment. As long as you (an the mosquitoes) live, the mosquitoes will find you. They cannot be stopped. (Cue spooky laughter.)

I agree with Mihai. Find the source, stagmant water, and drain it. Even if it means coaxing your neighbors' preschoolers into turning upside down all their plastic toys after every rainstorm.

• weirdtrev
    15 years ago

Mosquitoes aren't active on windy days. If she goes out to her garden on windy days she won't find any mosquitoes, they can't fly in the wind. A similar effect can be achieved with powerful fans, but that probably isn't practical.

• seamommy
    15 years ago

Even without standing water mosquitos will hide in shady cool areas, such as overturned pots, undersides of leaves, etc. Repellents, such as Deet are effective, but not really recommended for the elderly. She might have some luck by layering clothing, and wearing a hat with a net to cover her face and neck, gloves and thick socks.

Having said all that, I will add, and this is just my opinion, the skeeters swarm around me, but they never bother my DH. My theory is because I like to eat sweets and he prefers acidic and garlicky foods. The theory: they can smell sugar in your blood and will go for the highest energy food at the market. So your mom might try avoiding sugar and see if that helps.

Cheryl

• greeness
    15 years ago

I'm guessing there is a nearby source of standing water--a good point was brought up about plastic toys collecting water, but anything that holds water could be a problem. Stacks of pot saucers, standing water in bird baths ( I "whoosh" mine out every day!) There are organic repellents available that might help keep the skeeters away without posing a health risk. Citronella is a commonly used ingredient for repelling mosquitos.

• fountaam
    15 years ago

I have a similar problem, and really, it's because I need to weed more. And my garden is ringed with marigolds. Though it might help if I moved my compost pile. Citronella candles help, especially if I leave one out there for a while before I weed. Also long sleeves and pants (especially in light colors).

Also I find watering a bit does move them out sometimes.

• rembetika
    15 years ago

after trying EVERYTHING,, the only solution i have come up with is to wear long pants (preferably jeans, not light pants- they bite through 'em)- shoes (not sandals), socks (to cover your ankles) and put a light flannel shirt on that fits long, to cover as much of your hands as possible. then douse your clothing from head to toe with OFF. then, either use that, or a citronella-based spray on the backs of your hands. you might even want so close your eyes & lightly spritz your face & back of your neck. this will absolutely do the trick. it creates an immediate barrier around you. don't bother with planting marigolds, eating lots of garlic, etc. etc. etc... trust me, all those things don't work. also don't buy one of those expensive mosquito machines-- they are a huge waste of money and time!

now if you want to sit on your porch and relax, or you're having company, it DOES help to put several citronella candles (the large kind in a bucket) or those OFF repellent candle things (the kind where you put the card in the slot at the top)... all around where you are sitting.
    but if you are just going out to garden, trust me-- this is the only way that works instantly,, and that works 100%!!!

• gatormomx2
    15 years ago

This is from the link listed below :

" What About Devices That Emit Sound To Repel Mosquitoes?

There is no evidence that wearing devices that emit sound will repel mosquitoes.

Will Garlic, Bananas, Or Vitamin-B Repel Mosquitoes?

There is no scientific evidence that eating garlic, vitamins, onions, or any other food will make a person repellent to mosquitoes. The attractant level of each individual to biting arthropods is based on a complex interaction of many chemical and visual signals. Certain foods in certain individuals may effect their individual attractiveness to biting arthropods, for better or for worse."

Check out this link for more information that is actually quite interesting especially the table that lists how long various products last .

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosquito Repellents

• seamommy
    15 years ago

Please don't spritz your face with any repellent. If you want to put it on face and ears, spray on the palm of your hand and rub it on those areas. Inhaling the mist is dangerous and can cause an anaphalactic reaction and impair breathing. This is very important. Cheryl

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!