Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bencjedi

Finally found free 5-gallon drums for rain barrels

bencjedi
16 years ago

Finally after looking around all summer I found free 55-gallon plastic drums to make rain barrels out of. My concern is that these drums held Kodak microfilm fixer and replenisher. Evidently the stuff is made of water, iodide, acetic acid, sodium bisulfite, ammonium bisulfate and ammonium thiosulfate. There's still some sloshing around in the bottom of the containers.

I was prepared to clean out with bleach water until wikipedia says sodium bisulfite combined with bleach releases harmful fumes. The ammonium bisulfate is also harmful to mucous membranes and should he handled with care.

The other ingredients don't pose harm (the ammonium thiosulfate is actually helps enhance nitrogen efficiency).

It is next to impossible to find free plastic drums in my area, so I thought I hit a big score, but the toxicity worries me. I was thinking my only strategy is to cut a large hole at the top and flush in a great deal of water (wearing protection). Maybe I can scrub the inside with shampoo if it still smells somewhat after all the flushing? Ideas?

Comments (11)

• pianojuggler
    16 years ago

Mixing bleach (sodium hypochlorite) and any ammonia-based substance will release harmful fumes.

Yes, rinsing them thoroughly would probably make them suitable. I would rinse them completely (total fill) at least three times.

The problem is: what are you gonna do with the wastewater. Depending on where you live, it is probably considered toxic waste and would be illegal to dump anywhere outside OR to put down your drain.

• bencjedi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I cut a big square hole at the top to get my arm in there (I am tall, so I have long arms) and could reach all the way into the barrel. I first dumped out the leftover fluid and flushed down the toilet (before reading your post... oops). Then I rinsed with the garden hose and wiped the inside with Dawn dish soap. The smell is very much reduced. I think I can get away with a couple more soap scrubs and rinse. What is done is done with the Kodak fluid. There was not very much in the barrel.. maybe a liter, if that. It was very difficult to cut through the plastic lid. I have a couple blisters from using the Dremel tool and a lose hacksaw blade. I need to cut a hole in the second barrel to use as an overflow barrel

• lilacs_of_may
    16 years ago

I had a 5 gal plastic bucket--the kind food is kept in, some kind of glaze in this case--just roll into my yard last summer. The wind blew it there. I was kind of annoyed until I realized what a find I had. I'm also using it as a rain bucket, although I've thought about planting tomatoes or potatoes in it next year.

• deweymn
    16 years ago

Time to hit the Sears cataglog, Black and Decker, or DeWalt tool listings. They all have what is called a Sawzall. A must tool. Either cord or cordless. Very usefull for cutting all kinds of things with metal or wood blades. Avoid China made, they don't last.

I have three 55 gal drums that I think at one time had swimming pool chemicals in them. By the time I got them they had been emptied and it was several years ago and back then I rinsed them well and since have caught rainwater in them, added mosquito pellets and/or capped them and used the water when there is a lack of rain.

Unless you are part gorilla I don't see how you could reach all the way down into a 55 gal container from the top but I would think if you have an open area far from plants etc, you could fill them and then siphon off the diluted chemical. Or lay them on their side and run a hose into them. They have a screw cap on top, don't they?My guess would be that you have diluted the chemical enough to be ok. Of course I'm from the old school where you did what you had to, not what was always politically or environmentally correct.

One of my three containers had the top completely cut off and I catch garage runoff in it. I cut a small hole near the bottom and screwed in a small tap that I can turn on/off to let the water out. Gets a little scummy if I leave it too long but we get regular rain so I don't have to leave water in it too long.

• bencjedi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh yes.. a reciprocating saw is definitely on my 'wanted' list. :)

I must be part gorilla as I can nearly touch the bottom laying on my side reaching all the way in with my shoulder all up in the square hole I cut in the lid of the one barrel.

I will perform a couple more bleach scubbings and rinses on barrel #1. I've not yet cut into barrel #2 (that shall be linked with #1). I did unscrew the cap on #2 and started the same Dawn dish detergent, flush, detergent, flush again, flush again procedure. I can't get my ape-like arm in that one (yet). :)

I took a few pics today of my barrel site/project. I have since procured a pile of discarded bricks from the construction 'wasteland' across from my house to make a pedestal for barrel #2. I've harnessed alot of free bricks.. so many that its hard to find any more. :)

{{gwi:52511}} {{gwi:52512}}

At next payday I can purchase spigots for each barrel, a connecting pipe, plumbers sealant (or something) and some flexible tubing to reprovision the gutter off the house.

I could have taken royal blue colored 55-gallon drums, but opted for black because I figured it would absorb heat better for more favorable (to plants) warmer water.

• deweymn
    16 years ago

You might try this:

There are hole cutting spade bits of various sizes. I bought a cheap (china?) set for under $5 that I use for various small projects and even installing some doorknobs/latches.

I picked up a plastic spigot with threads and cut a hole in one 55gal drum and because the hole was not much bigger than the diameter of the threaded end, I was able to put some caulk on the threads and literally screw it in the hole. After it dried it was a snug fit. Maybe that will work for you?

• bencjedi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just watched the 'Gardening by the Yard' episode called 'Mulching No Nos'. There's a segment on rain barrels and according to what the program showed I have already done my barrel wrong by the square cut at the top. The top should actually be the bottom, so the cap on the top becomes the outlet for the spigot on the bottom. It appears that offers a tighter, stronger seal. All is not lost, there's another barrel I can take home to do it right with for the 2-barrel setup I envision. I can relegate the 'messed up' barrel to a compost 'holding cell' by cutting the entire top off the barrel I think. I need another place to stash organics. I may be able to make it some kind of tumbler for proper aeration.

Thanks deweymn.. you gave me a good idea for acquiring the bits I need for my drill to make the proper holes for the spigot, entry and overflow holes. I just remembered Harbor Freight Tools sells the cheapy China-made tools. Perhaps I can find the cheaper bits there, as I likely won't have much need for them except for this project.

As far as the spigot, in the Gardening by the Yard show they used plumber's tape and wrapped it along the threads and then screwed it in. I'll try since it looked insanely easy.

• deweymn
    16 years ago

Good idea the plumbers tape. Since I do maintenance I have used it many times with plumbing and other projects. In case your hole is a little larger they make a yellow tape (used for gas connections) that is a little thicker and might make a tighter seal.

If you are into small projects, look at the dremmel sets they have at HFT. Quite useful.

• bencjedi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Harbor Freight Tools was the perfect place for the hole bore bits for my drill. They had an 18-piece set on sale for $5. Can't beat that! I finished my barrels tonight. I was so excited to get them done, that I took a picture. Bring on the rain!

{{gwi:52513}}

The connecting tube hole between the barrels is a little too big on one side (I goofed), but since I hadn't yet put in an escape hole on the 2nd barrel at the top yet, the gaping hole will buy me some time if it does rain. I originally used the wrong size bore and when I tried to correct it with the larger bore bit I went off-center a tad. I could probably wrap enough electrical tape around the tube to make a tight fit on the 'loose' side I bet. Or try making the hole bigger on each barrel and then using a fatter tube. The only reason I bought that particular tube size anyway is that I had a project with the remainder of the pipe anyway.

• deweymn
    16 years ago

Not to worry about the excess size to the hole. If you got a pvc coupler and just pushed it onto the pvc pipe coming out of the first barrel it would be slightly larger. Then, you could mark the 2nd barrell and just ream out the hole with another harbor freight tool. A reamer made for your drill. Many sizes avail or just use a half round file.

Looks like you have 1/2" pvc which is a standard size. Any hardware store will have a pvc coupler. Once you are sure of the fit you could get the pvc cleaner and glue and make the coupler permanent. I would seal the pvc hole with a putty like compound made for that. It is used where elec conduit or a/c lines go thru walls. Sometimes called thumb gum, duct seal, etc.

Save the elec tape for elec projects. It don't like water much. Even caulk would work but the putty I mentioned above seals good and remains plyable and can easily be removed.

• bencjedi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Finally got a sprinkle of rain today and my barrels got their first 'live' test run. It couldn't have spit for more than half an hour and still, an amazing amount of water emptied into the first barrel. The 2nd barrel hasn't seen any action yet. Thanks for the suggestion on sealing the conduit between the two barrels.

Here's a few pictures I snapped when I got home this evening:

{{gwi:52514}} {{gwi:52515}} {{gwi:52516}}

The screened collecting area worked perfect. Water emptied down into it for quite awhile after it was done raining.

Sponsored